Greg Rutherford's long jump...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not into sport. Well you might have guessed if you ever seen a photo of me.

But I did register that Greg Rutherford's gold-winning jump is longer than my new workshop.

Excellent, even if I don't actually see the point...

Yes Steve,

A great jump; albeit he started his run-up in Shanghai! :D

Seriously, a fantastic performance. Wings on his heels!

Ok, this is playing with my head.

So 8.41 metres is 27 foot 6 inches give or take according to Google. We have a through room from the front to the back of the house 24 foot long (13 + 11 for the two rooms if split).

So did he start at our front window, clear the entire length of the house and land 3 foot into the back garden?

I realise I might be being a bit dense, but that's a long way...

Scouse,

The final winning jump was 8.41 Metres; that is, 27.59 feet. That's a ruddy long way to jump.
Like Steve, I can't see the point either, but if that makes them happy who am I to argue?

I wonder if he would be able to make that jump, if it was a life or death matter, to leap fifteen feet, across a one mile deep canyon ! :mrgreen:

John :D

Scouse":3ne6i9fx said:
So did he start at our front window, clear the entire length of the house and land 3 foot into the back garden?

Yes he did, in one bound, this was the long jump, not the triple jump.

Scouse":3ne6i9fx said:

I think that is kind of the point, Scouse :)

I am sure the jump will be on you-tube by now Scouse. Take a look, and you'll see what I mean about starting the run-up in Shanghai! :lol:

It's a weird thing to do: all through the run-up you're presumably aiming for max. horizontal velocity, then on the last footfall you also want max. vertical velocity, too. That's a very weird thing to train for, I'd guess.

Twenty-seven and two-thirds feet, approximately, is a truly amazing distance.

What gets me is they still have to aim for the board and not go over it, these days they shouldn't have to have a set start point for measuring a camera or sensors would be able to define the take-off point.

That would make things better, weren't a couple of Americans disqualified?

Pete

I see what you mean Pete, but the athlete still needs a visual point, to 'aim for'. They opted for the simple solution of a strip of smooth plasticine. Any mark on that and the athlete has 'fouled' the take-off point.

According to the camera they do use, Rutherford's toe landed about 9" behind the line. (Or so I saw last night! Maybe that was a different jump!) How long would that jump have been if his toe had been that much closer to the line?

In the 8.41 jump he timed it perfectly, about 9mm behind the line.

Hi All

Just as a matter of interest, I believe that the use of the plasticine strip was a British idea, though no doubt if you look on Wiki etc you will see that it was the Yanks who did this, as they were also the ones who rescued an Enigma Machine from a U boat (according to the film)

Phil

Benchwayze":252q6sd2 said:
Scouse,

The final winning jump was 8.41 Metres; that is, 27.59 feet. That's a ruddy long way to jump.
Like Steve, I can't see the point either, but if that makes them happy who am I to argue?

I wonder if he would be able to make that jump, if it was a life or death matter, to leap fifteen feet, across a one mile deep canyon ! :mrgreen:

John :D

For sure, on the second or third attempt, at least ...

Keith

I can only say it because MY contours are identical to yours...mind you, I have better taste in headbands...mine's a proper Buff! :D

Sam, getting more 'biddly' with the years....think about it...."more biddly"...sounds like?

They are something else. I've stood a couple of metres away from the pit when blokes have been jump 7-8 metres. It's surreal to watch them come flying past at eye level!!

Well done Greg

Steve Maskery":tq1hjk8q said:
Scouse":tq1hjk8q said:

Yes he did, in one bound, this was the long jump, not the triple jump.

Scouse":tq1hjk8q said:

I think that is kind of the point, Scouse :)

Back