Greenhouse Project, WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry mate, I have the set that came with the morticer, I don't push them hard and let them cool regularly, I have'nt chanced them on hardwood yet and I don't think they'd last long anyway, they get quite hot on softwood.

Rich.

Looking good!
:arrow:
Morticers, make sure the chisel get sharpened regularly and the drill bit also, and things should be okay as long as you don't push them beyond there capabilities.

Good morning Simon, thanks for looking, I must say your website makes good viewing.

Regards,

Rich.

3432370068_4312f5651a_b.jpg

Just a quick update on the greenhouse, (it's taken nearly a year so far due to budgetry pressures) it's now watertight and just needs the external beading for the windows to be installed, the door is complete as you will see in the next pic, but I took the pic longways and don't know how to turn it by 90 degs.

3432370078_14fd91f975_b.jpg

As you can see, fully M&T'd and dowelled, if you bend your neck sideways :oops: my next problem is how to fit it as a sliding door as cheaply as possible, I have considered making hardwood runners slotted into the top and bottom and grooves in the opposing parters to carry the runners, any suggestions are MOST welcome.

3432370058_54bbe477fa_b.jpg

AS you can see the walkway is almost finished, it just needs covering now, but that will have to wait for another payday as the car tax is due at the end of this month, there is no end to spending ones hard earned cash, is there? :(

Rich.

Good morning kevin, no mate, that's strawberries that you see, :D

Rich.

VERY impressed! Rich,
I will never complain about the lack of space in my w/s/shed again :wink:
You must get on well with your neighbours, seeing as your uprights are on their side of the fence. :roll:

John. B

Thanks for looking lads, it's coming along now and I'll post some more when appropriate, keep the comments coming, good or otherwise, it's all helpful. :lol:

Rich.

I just read the thread all the way through, I'm very impressed in what you have achieved considering your lack of space, I must stop complaining about my workshop and pull my finger out. Great work Rich.

Thanks, BB, nice to see your still active and guitar making, yes I have a small workshop, but I am a patient man and moving one tool to make room for another does'nt take that long really. :D

Rich.

Nice work Rich,

3 things,when I first saw the wip's I was a bit concerned! The 6th picture in I thought that you must live in a rough old area it looks like your upstairs windows have vertical bars for security,but on reflection (pardon the pun)you can see they are vertical blinds :lol:

Also you are supposed to look happy when "wetting your appetite"or were you knackered!

On a serious note,do you think a Hardwood threshold might have been better?

All the same credit to you for what has been a long haul,you must have earned a lot of brownie points!

Mark.

Chippyjoe":2c9b7qbp said:
Nice work Rich,

3 things,when I first saw the wip's I was a bit concerned! The 6th picture in I thought that you must live in a rough old area it looks like your upstairs windows have vertical bars for security,but on reflection (pardon the pun)you can see they are vertical blinds :lol:

Also you are supposed to look happy when "wetting your appetite"or were you knackered!

On a serious note,do you think a Hardwood threshold might have been better?

All the same credit to you for what has been a long haul,you must have earned a lot of brownie points!

Mark.

Thanks for looking mark, yes I was tuckered that day mate, as for the threshold, I'm not too worried about the soft wood as when the walkway is eventually covered the weather won't be a problem. :D

Rich.

Still on the Speckled Hen Rich or have you found a decent drink? :twisted:

Roy.

Rich,

The door looks too close to the roof spars to put the normal types of sliding gear on, the heavy duty drawer slides would work on the top inside edge, but unless you can find some second hand I think that they are expensive.

I would suggest putting some sort of wheels on the bottom to run in or on a track, you would have to cut off part of the thresher and fix a heavier piece of wood lower down and long enough to support the track.

For wheels, single sash pulleys let into the bottom of the door and angle iron that loosely fits in the groove might do for the track. Not sure how long sash pulleys would last in this situation.

Or you could go for wheels that run inside some form of track, like unistrut, or two angle irons, I am sure as an engineer you can come up with a solution. The wheels could go on the ends or outside of the door if it is any easier, with the track positioned to suit.

Once you have sorted out the running gear a batten on the roof spars either side of the door to keep it in line.

Dennis

Thanks for taking the time, Roy/Dennis, I shall be trying out home made wooden runners tomorrow, I'll post some pics, if that proves to hard to open the door, I had in mind using ball catches inserted into the underside of the door and a holding bar to contain the top, obviously it does'nt have to be airtight and gaps won't matter, all is not lost, yet, :) if the worst comes to the worst I'll have to make a new hinged door opening inwards, but that cuts down the space inside.

Rich.

inspiring to see what other members achieve.

makes me think I really should start pulling my socks up!

gr8 stuff

Steve

3459076827_21556df877_b.jpg

Well, there we go, the greenhouse door is hung and works fine

3459078821_c0df1922a4_b.jpg

I have used Beech hardwood runners, and once coated with a liberal layer of tallow, the door moves VERY easily from left to right and silently too, I am well pleased and surprised at the outcome.

3459080991_c99314cf47_b.jpg

After routering a slot for the runner and cutting the runner to suit, you will see that the ONLY bearing surface is the top of the 2 lower runners. the top runners are only there to keep the door in alignment, I have allowed for expansion, the door can be pushed in either direction with just one finger.

3459898398_2f153a7dcd_b.jpg

Just some external window beading and some shiplap, and the internal benchwork and my promise to my wife will be fulfilled.

3459085591_00d247b1d1_b.jpg

3459902588_2228fa6834_b.jpg

As you can see, the strawberries, cucumbers and tomatoes are benefitting from the greenhouse, indoors, ALL parties are happy, I am a happy chappie.

Rich.

Digit":hgvxmsel said:
Where's the beer? :lol:

Roy.

In about half an hour, it will be in my tummy as I have just finished feeding the starving three, mine is now slowly cooking and should be ready by eight. :lol:

Rich.

Latest posts

Back