Green Oak bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I want build some green oak garden furniture a seat/bench, table etc. but haven't done any "wet" woodworking.

Tools I have available are usual carpentry/joinery hand tools plus circular saw, jigsaw, router, power planer
I've heard that green oak is easier to work so am I correct in assuming that I can use my router and saws in much the same way as with seasoned oak.

Any info on wet woodworking such as on line resources, books or tips would be appreciated

I'd seriously think twice about putting green oak through a planer and even using on the table saw. You will get rusting of the machine and black staining even if you clean up every bit of dust/shavings.

Also tools like routers will find it harder going in the damp wood as will saw blades with a high number of teeth.

Try to do as much as possible with handtools, its not difficult as a nice bit of green oak cuts like cheddar cheese.

Jason

What you need is one of a Bahco Bow Saw, some chunky chisels and buy a cheapie Clarke planer/thicknesser and sell it on ebay when you are done.

060612130.jpg

That's what I used here

greenoakwork1.jpg

greenoakwork2.jpg

The chamfer on the main beam was done with a circular saw.

God..looking at those pictures brings back painful memories....never again.

Manny":3twc1qb5 said:
Thanks for the info

This is similar to the style of thing I'm going to build.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... /Bench.jpg

I'll be buying the oak in the correct thickness, I was thinking of using a router for the curved pieces and hand tools for the joints.

How about sanding does that work with green oak?

I'd use a jigsaw for the curves. Cut oversize and plane to size.

Sanding OK

You're not going to pour gunk like Danish Oil or indeed any oil on it are you? :wink:

Back