green fleck??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well been rough turning this wood and drying in meths.
Thought i'd try and finish one while still wet,and this is the result.
Lots of the green fleck in it on one side mainly.
Nice wood to turn.Just gotta wait for the twisting and splitting now. :roll:
9" dia x 4" high.Finished with sanding sealer and woodwax.
Hope you like. :D

Paul.J.

Very nice bowl, Paul. A good design, and well executed.I once had green flecks like these in a piece of Holly, is your wood Holly? It looks like it could be.

Bob

I'd go for Holly too.....and in my workshop I get flecks like that on everything - but they're blue and furry!.....6mm ply matures to 9mm within weeks and don't even mention mdf...

Chris

Porcelain perfection Paul, I like the shape, in particular the top edge finish, makes for a delicate look overall.

Thanks for your comments everyone.Still puzzled though as to what the green colour is though. :?

Bob Chapman wrote
is your wood Holly? It looks like it could be.
Scrums wrote
I'd go for Holly too
I don't really know.The logs were big though,about 20" dia,don't know if Holly grows that big :roll:
Paul.J.

nice, nice, nice, i really hope that dont split on you m8. p.s. holly gets my vote too, and the flecks i believe is some form of fungal infection in the wood from b4 it was even cut.

atb dave :wink:

Nice bowl, I like the form and the finish. Works well.

Isn't it a bit yellow for holly? I thought holly was as near to white as to not make any difference? Also isn't holly generally a small tree so 20" logs would be pretty rare. Willing to be corrected though.

I'm pretty sure I've had something like this with the green fleck in. It would have been either beech or birch.

I think there was an article in one of the mags recently about spalting and the green is a rarer version of the black spalting that we normally see.

Thanks Mudman.
When the logs were given to me and i cut and split them to size there was no sign of the green specks at all.It's just happened while it's been drying out.The logs were like
thisThe 4 dark brown ones.
Paul.J.

Very nice Chris.
That is more like the colour of the holly i've gothere
8" dia logs.
The end of the logs in the piccy went that colour when i sealed them.

Paul.J

Scrums":g63b9a8o said:
No longer so sure about Holly - if you've got the right logs, they're much darker than I'd expect the bark to be - normally a silvery/greyish green.

20" diameter is way at the top end for Holly too.

Here's why I went for Holly:http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/scrums/Holly-Bowl.jpg

That's one I prepared earlier - about 12 years ago !

Chris.

I thought that as well when I saw the bark. I've just had a look at the holly in our front garden and the bark is as you describe, a light greyish green.

Hello Paul,

I have just recently got a lot of maple and because of the hot weather, we have in Germany currently, I stored it for some days under a plastic tarp to protect it from drying to fast before I found the time to seal the ends of the logs. Under the tarp it got obviously rather damp and warm simultaneously and when I lifted the tarp again and cut the first logs to turning blanks I found the same green spots in the wood, which your bowl shows, penetrating from the ends of the logs quite deep into the wood. So I think your wet bowl has experienced some kind of mold.

Uli

Hello Ulrich.Thanks for your reply.
Ulrich my wood wasn't kept under tarp,it was kept in a shed and stacked with plenty of air flow.
If it is a mold it as got to the middle of the wood pretty quick :?:
But who knows,i know i don't :?
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back