Great cabinet makers of the 21st century

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one I forgot about - Richard Williams - richardwilliamsfurniture.com
Quite agree. He makes glorious furniture hinting at the campaign furniture style. Did he ever sell that writing desk in Macassar Ebony ? !

Never heard of Tim Stead. Very entertaining!
There was another extravagant Scottish maker who was well known a few years back, I used to have his book but have forgotten his name. Sort of heavy gothic style. Anybody recall his name? @Sgian Dubh mentioned him some years ago - might have known him?
It's the same chap!
Must say I'm very jealous of all that stuff he's churned though, he must have been a demon worker.

On the question of "greatest cabinet maker" I can't get very interested - it's a very narrow sector. The terms "designer', "sculptor" or merely "vernacular" seem more interesting, as applied to woodwork.

Last edited:
Unlikely. Tim Stead is English.

" There was another extravagant Scottish maker who was well known a few years back"
Rob Elliot ?.
dscn5229.1500x0.jpg

Scottish furniture makers association - If anyone is looking for ahem....'ideas'
https://www.scottishfurnituremakers.org.uk/furniture-search/

Unlikely. Tim Stead is English.

" There was another extravagant Scottish maker who was well known a few years back"
Rob Elliot ?.
View attachment 160360

Scottish furniture makers association - If anyone is looking for ahem....'ideas'
https://www.scottishfurnituremakers.org.uk/furniture-search/
No I think it was T Stead I have in mind. He seemed to have studied/worked mostly in Scotland.
Rob Elliot a bit of a hobbit perhaps? It became a style after the film, crossed with Steam Punk.

No I think it was T Stead I have in mind. He seemed to have studied/worked mostly in Scotland.
Rob Elliot a bit of a hobbit perhaps? It became a style after the film, crossed with Steam Punk.
Regarding your earlier post suggesting I knew another Scottish maker who worked in a monumental style, I'm pretty sure it was Tim Stead because he was sometimes known disparagingly as Stonehenge Stead. In truth, I recall him being a very enthusiastic and personable woodworker happy to share his stories and journey into the craft - he was quite unconventional in many ways. He would happily come into the art college where I worked and undertake lectures and Q&A sessions, as well as hosting groups of undergraduates at his home and workshop (one and the same), plus enthuse about the purchase of and management of woodland in the Borders of which he was a prime instigator to get off the ground, so to speak - of course a woodland can't really physically 'get off the ground' ... as far as I know, ha, ha. Slainte.

Last edited:
Hello,

The 20th century had its fair share of great cabinet makers/woodworkers, e.g. Ernest Gimson, Edward Barnsley, Alan Peters, Karl Malmsten, Gustav Stickley, Robert Thomson, James Krenov, Charles Sumner and Henry Mather Greene, George Nakashima, etc. - some of them were actually designers/architects only.

What are the currently living furniture makers that you think people will remember from the beginning of this century?

Whose work of the living artisans do you consider remarkable?

Thank you.
Have a look at Doucette and Wolf, in my humble opinion great work

Born in Cheshire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Stead
Admittedly it doesnt actually say where, and i dont really know for 100% so you could be right.

Last edited:
Woodworking like music has a limited amount of joints and styles, same with notes and chords trying to create something original and unique is a challenge,has already been done personally the arts and crafts or shaker styles are my favourites unpretentious,and form and usefulness over style

Woodworking like music has a limited amount of joints and styles, same with notes and chords trying to create something original and unique is a challenge,has already been done personally the arts and crafts or shaker styles are my favourites unpretentious,and form and usefulness over style
Creating something unoriginal and ordinary is also a challenge! That's largely what the Shakers did but with just an extra touch of style of their own.

He made DVDs :) Actually, @MikeK studied with him, so he might have seen some of his furniture in person. As far as I know, after completing his studies with Edward Baly (founding member of Devon Guild of Craftsmen, also mentioned in the book written by Alan Peters), he started to teach woodworking shortly after, so maybe he did not have a professional career as a cabinet maker.
More or less what I imagined. He seems to have constructed his temple of excellence without much experience in the untidy world of woodwork as most of us know it. Hence the absence of furniture in his "Furniture Making Techniques" book. Maybe he caught up with book 2 but I haven't seen it.

Unfortunately there's a huge amount of Stockhausen furniture about.

Nobody mentioned Sam Maloof yet? He probably did most of his famous work before y2k though.
Famous for his rocking chair which is often copied. His furniture can be a bit chunky but living in California he obviously had an abundant supply of walnut.

Would be good to be such a great craftsman, I think it comes down to a combination of artistic thinking, work ethic, and a perfectionist streak?!

No one has really categorised "cabinet" and so are we looking at wooden cabinets or those made from man made materials such as MDF. Then as times have changed do people have different views on what is fine furniture and so Ikea could now be classed as a fine furniture maker as so many people buy there stuff. The answer maybe to have categories and have great cabinet makers of xyz.

Back