Great cabinet makers of the 21st century

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

The 20th century had its fair share of great cabinet makers/woodworkers, e.g. Ernest Gimson, Edward Barnsley, Alan Peters, Karl Malmsten, Gustav Stickley, Robert Thomson, James Krenov, Charles Sumner and Henry Mather Greene, George Nakashima, etc. - some of them were actually designers/architects only.

What are the currently living furniture makers that you think people will remember from the beginning of this century?

Whose work of the living artisans do you consider remarkable?

Thank you.

I’m not sure it’s warranted (no pun intended) but perhaps Linley will be remembered given the Royal connection.

There are some brilliant makers out there. I particularly like Edward Wild‘s work

https://ewcf.co.uk/

I was contemplating something similar. After David Charlesworth and David Savage passed away, and many others are leaving teaching…who will start to take their place?

I was contemplating something similar. After David Charlesworth and David Savage passed away, and many others are leaving teaching…who will start to take their place?
What did Charlesworth actually make?

What did Charlesworth actually make?
He made DVDs :) Actually, @MikeK studied with him, so he might have seen some of his furniture in person. As far as I know, after completing his studies with Edward Baly (founding member of Devon Guild of Craftsmen, also mentioned in the book written by Alan Peters), he started to teach woodworking shortly after, so maybe he did not have a professional career as a cabinet maker.

Andrew Varah really pushed out the boat on striking and original design. I made a few reproductions for my own home.

Never heard of Tim Stead. Very entertaining!
There was another extravagant Scottish maker who was well known a few years back, I used to have his book but have forgotten his name. Sort of heavy gothic style. Anybody recall his name? @Sgian Dubh mentioned him some years ago - might have known him?
I suppose Makepeace was the biggest name in the business - lots of clever dickery but strong on design, which some well known makers are not so good at - Savage for instance, unless you really like those extravagant curly things.
Stuff I like most tends to be anonymous.

Last edited:
He made DVDs :) Actually, @MikeK studied with him, so he might have seen some of his furniture in person. As far as I know, after completing his studies with Edward Baly (founding member of Devon Guild of Craftsmen, also mentioned in the book written by Alan Peters), he started to teach woodworking shortly after, so maybe he did not have a professional career as a cabinet maker.
Yes he did a lot of teaching in his whole career of fine woodworking. With this I think his first video, book, in 2003.

Attachments

• B50B636A-8575-4D5F-8228-18EC86734F46.png
    B50B636A-8575-4D5F-8228-18EC86734F46.png
    674.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks @powertools but to be honest I have met lots of very talented craftsmen over the years, most of them beavering away not getting noticed.

@BucksDad we have a few pieces which I have made but the businesses have kept me very busy and now my time is freeing up a bit Sarah has a growing list of jobs that need doing. We converted and moved into our barn with a two year old and a baby, started furniture school and Wood Workers Workshop a couple of years later, I just need to come up for air!

Hoping to spend a bit my of my time making after working on the barn.

Cheers

Peter

Back