grand father clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, has anyone made one? have been asked to make one, dont know alot about them and would appreciate any advice.

also how long would it take to make will try post pic tomorrow.
thanks andy

The first step is to obtain a suitable movement, it isn't that simple as there are quite a few alternatives available. Does the client want to see the pendulum and weights for a starter, if so a class paneled door will be needed. A true Grandfather clock, as opposed to a grandmother or granddaughter can be well over 2 mtrs tall.
It is a good idea also to purchase a movement that you can silence, you might surprised just how loud a set of Westminster chimes can be a 2am!

Roy.

Someone on here made one a year or so ago with some excellent WIP pictures but I can't remember who it was. Might be worth doing a search - could be under grandfather clock or long case clock. Either way, I can't get on with the search facility on here so I'll leave that to you.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

thanx paul, the movement is to be supplied by the customer, is antique so i've been told dont want to drop that one lol.
will have a good look at the links. will try sort pic out forgot again today

andy

If the customer is doing the design there are some important points you need to keep an eye on Andy. First thing is the length of the chain movement. If it's an 8 day movement, for example, the weight will descend for at least that period of time and the cabinet needs to be long enough to accommodate that movement.
The other point is the pendulum swing, the interior of the cabinet must be wide enough to accommodate that plus the width of the pendulum bob plus some clearance.
That sets your width and the height, plus the hood on top, which is why the old ones were so tall.
Hope that helps and the best of luck with a fascinating project.

Roy.

I found the thread that Paul linked to very interesting, especially the part where the OP had an overhead router set-up for making cove mouldings. Anyone else got eny experience of doing this with a router/router table? I really don't fancy the tablesaw method.

How big are the covings you speak of? Upto a certain size, yes.

Roy.

Digit":2qbxiimr said:
How big are the covings you speak of? Upto a certain size, yes.

Roy.

The ones in the link posted by Pete (OP luthier49) looked quite substantial, certainly bigger than you could get with a regular coving bit. Maybe it's just me not being able to judge the scale from the picture. I ask because I'm interested in the techniques used rather than by a need to produce coving right now.

In my case I have an overhead router so the larger ones can be roughed out quite easily for later finishing as you can see what you are doing. I'd be less happy trying it on a normal table.

Roy.

StuartPaul,

you mentioned in your clock post that you used some of Norms gel stain.

Any chance of telling us exactly what it is and where to get it from,

regards

Brian

looks great stuartpaul,my biggest worry is mounting the movment, and how long it will take to make. will be messaging alot if i do make it.

Hi Andy

One of the best ways to learn before you put tool to wood, is to get your hands on one of the good Clock repair books. One that I used to use a lot was Making and Repairing Wooden Clock Cases by Taylor & Babb

They detail the construction techniques. materials and the critical dimensions to observe. One important point to bear in mind is that a Clock is designed around the movement and face, so that has to be decided on first.

There is a wealth of information out there, that I can PM you when you get closer to deciding on things

brianhabby":3ns9em3m said:
StuartPaul,

you mentioned in your clock post that you used some of Norms gel stain.

Any chance of telling us exactly what it is and where to get it from,

regards

Brian

Brian,

Without wishing to sound rude it is what it says it is! A stain contained within a thickish gel. Brush on, - leave for about 5 minutes and then wipe off. Gives a beautiful even colour. Goes a long way as well.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any over here and I managed to get mine in the States (try pursuading SWMBO to pack a tin of that amongst her clothing!). Might be able to mail order?

Stuart

Okay Stuart,

It was really a case of where you can get it. I didn't realise you bought it in the States, obviously it is available over there. I've seen Norm use it a lot and it looks like a really good product.

If anyone else reading this knows where to buy it, I would be very interested to hear.

regards

Brian

Back