Got myself a nice little bargain yesterday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not as good as it used to be but picked this up from Trago yesterday bargain at £12.50
20230215_192130.jpg
20230215_192219.jpg
20230215_192350.jpg

Got to love Trago, did you see the pigs while you were there?

I was shocked by their plywood prices last time I went, you used to be able to pick it up proper cheap and it wasn't the worst quality in the world either. Still that's just the world we're living in now, it's still the cheapest place to buy paint, pet food and probably a few other things too.

This is from their listing on Amazon...'The I-125 is able to to reach over 125kg blade tension to ensure accurate cutting'

You got it for a good price, it's £17.29 on Amazon. Unfortunately there are no Trago stores near me 🙁

that 125kg rating seems like it would rely on the strength of the blade as much as the saw itself. I have to say to me at least its just an arbitrary figure, I've no idea what would be good, bad or average for hacksaw tension.

Best I've came across by a country mile also, the most common 24tpi that is,
Noticeable with steel, and even more so if plenty of mill scale is involved,
Nicholson's seems to be the second best to me.

I bought some Stanley ones recently, about 7 quid locally for a five pack, with three differing tooth
configurations, compared to 22.50 for the Bahco's 24 TPI five pack...
but I only took the chance as I had seen a Bahco saw for a tenner which I also bought.
I prefer even a very well worn Bahco blade compared to the new Stanley's.

Now I've used one or two hacksaws before, the Britool being the nicest saw tension wise,
but too nice to use for deep ripping plate really.

I use a poundshop saw quite similar to the Irwin for a fiver, it only needed a few washers to tension well, and its been great. (only recently had the pin fall out, and successfully replaced with a masonry nail, which is tough stuff when you reach the core)

Didn't like the Bahco saw until I realised you need two saws!
Unless someone can point me to a saw which can orientate at 45 degrees, and also 90.

Just incase anyone hasn't tried a Bahco, worth having one of their blades knocking about for when
one is in a pinch, they still cut when worn, for those harder materials, say like that masonry nail which most others can't even score.

SAM_5585.JPG

SAM_6916.JPG

I have used and abused the same model of hacksaw for years. Excellent quality. Good buy.

Back