Got a couple of logs from a felled tree....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dance

Established Member
Reaction score
So a tree came down in the storm last night and a couple of the logs being chopped up were offered to me.

So now I have some hardwood logs (species of tree not immediately obvious).

I'd like to get them sawn into boards and possibly kiln dried so that I can use them sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know how I would find someone? I'm in the North Yorkshire / Ryedale area (postcode YO30 1DD).

The one chap I've found on Google with a big bandsaw was quoting £10 per cut. The logs are only 1m long. Is this reasonable? Maybe it is, I don't know.

If I'm desiring boards of a finished thickness of 19mm, should I ask for them to be turned into boards about 25mm thick so that I can plane and thickness them myself?

And finally should I try and find someone who can quartersaw them or should plainsawn do the trick?

So many questions, for which I apologise, but it's my first time acquiring timber by this method.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be more expensive and labour intensive than just going to the timber merchant! Still, John Boddy's has gone into liquidation so that isn't really an option anymore anyway.

THANK YOU

First thing to do is find out what you have, and unless it is something really special it will almost definitely cost you more than the wood is worth.

dance":z1iwxmmi said:
Hope it doesn't turn out to be more expensive and labour intensive than just going to the timber merchant!

In the great majority of cases it will. But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. I would at least find out what species it is before committing to anything. One more thing, you don't just pop freshly cut boards into a kiln, they have to be air dried first for quite some time before kilning so make sure you have a plan for that.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, but first thing is to establish what you've got. Was it from a garden, roadside hedge, middle of field or what? Any pics of the leaves, before they wilt beyond recognition?
It's just possible you've got something worth converting, but regret to say the odds against are pretty high.

If you're a woodturner or green woodworker though you would be able to make use of it most likely :)

Paint the ends pronto though while you figure it out.

Cheers, Paul

OK I know I need to get a pic of a leaf but for now here are the logs themselves. Leaves to follow!

Attachments

• IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 155
Hi Dance a bit north of you in Gods County there is Gayle Mill near to Hawes they have a web site with contact details hope this is of use to you . Dave

I'd bet money on them being oak.

If you are into turning cut them into blanks and green turn them, then seal.

I wouldn't spend money trying to turn them into timber.

"IF" you have a chainsaw maybe saw them into rough planks by taking out a couple inches from the middle the splitthe two chords int half along the centre line. When dry you "might" get some small usable timber. If not good firewood :)

if they were mine, I think that I would split one, using wedges, into half, and use the other to make some uprights, to make a simple outdoor bench. Let it weather, and twist and turn. https://www.flickr.com/photos/joyce411/4739957267

A bit rustic for some, but it would fit into my garden quite well!

unless you can get a whole and substantial trunk, and have the equipment to process it, it isn't really worth trying to process trees into boards. If you don't have the equipment, it could take a few trees to payback the outlay, particularly if you costed in your time doing it.

Do you have a bandsaw?
Chainsaw into a rough square or two then plank it with bandsaw.
If you don't have a bandsaw maybe this is a good time to convince your loved ones you need one ;)

Latest posts

Back