Google street view intrusion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
younger people are used to the panoptic society i guess

either that or they either dont have anything worth nicking or they have the sense to keep their garage doors closed if they do :lol:

I just find the whole thing so bloody useful. If the crime rate really goes up because of it I'd be extremely surprised. In my opinion, Google deserve the profit they are producing for providing us with some amazing applications FOR FREE. Did MS ever do that? MS is just playing catchup nowadays.

Here's an example. Earlier I opened my Google calender, entered in an appointment. It picked up the address and linked it to street map. I clicked on that and was able to find the location of my appointment and get directions to it. I could then see a photo of the surrounding street to make sure that I could find it easily when I got there. As my car is still not on the road, I was then able to do a local search for taxi firms in the location and even get reviews as to the quality of their service. I then set two reminders, one via email for 5 days in advance and one via SMS for 1 day in advance. This is just scratching the surface of what Google apps can do and all I've paid is pennies in electricity and broadband.

Ok so someone is going to come along and tell me I should be able to use a map printed on something called paper and that, if I plan to get there early, I shouldn't have to bother being certain of the exact location before I set-off. Perhaps I might even be told that finding a Taxi firm wasn't hard in the good old days. But personally I like this way of doing things. It suits my favourite quote "In failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail".

All this is much more useful than worrying if a burglar is casing my house via a static photograph which gets older by the second. The only reason I can see for removing your house, or censoring something is in Peter's case. That's totally valid. Otherwise, there's much more to be worrying about in life.

ahem, rant over. :oops:

Not being a computer nerd I haven't a clue as to how I could show you my house as on Google, but their desire to picture everything has become farcial as all you can see is the front hedge!

Roy.

It's not farcical Roy. It's a view of your street, not your house

Not necessarily so. What if you wished to visit someone, how would you identify which house if thy are not numbered, as with mine?

Roy.

Digit":1sg4pu1f said:
Not necessarily so. What if you wished to visit someone, how would you identify which house if thy are not numbered, as with mine?

Roy.

i'd look for the one with the bloody great hedge :p

Wizer, I agree with and can see the benefit of all the Google apps that you mention with the one exception. I can't for the life of me see how important or what added value there is if you know beforehand that the house has a red door!

Am I correct in assuming that the street scenes have been taken mainly by the refuse collectors or companies?
As mentioned earlier by me all the addresses I have put up have had the dustbin on show somewhere in the street.

devonwoody":1k3mgfq0 said:
Am I correct in assuming that the street scenes have been taken mainly by the refuse collectors or companies?
As mentioned earlier by me all the addresses I have put up have had the dustbin on show somewhere in the street.

Yes, they do this to augment their wages. Those involved in the scheme wear head-cams as they go about collecting the bins.

RogerS":gnq8wzgx said:
devonwoody":gnq8wzgx said:

Yes, they do this to augment their wages. Those involved in the scheme wear head-cams as they go about collecting the bins.

Please don't tease the old codger Roger.
D.W streetview is funded by a conglomerate of council refuse departments and curtain twitchers to stamp out the threat to the planet and world ecosystems known as leaving the bin out. HTH

devonwoody":brdshuo5 said:
Yeah, but there are still dustbins showing on the 4 sites I visited, so Roger is correct even if by fault. :) :x

It's either the reason I give or to record who thumps them when they don't empty the bin because the lid isn't fully closed by 0.01mm.

So am I the only one who who enjoys the freedom Streetview gives me to peer at peoples houses and zoom in in a way that, if done in person, would attract attention and challenges? I'm certainly invading other peoples privacy compared to what I could get away with before Streetview.

The point being is "privacy" is relative.

I agree with Tom, as I regularly find that, while punching in a post code will get you on the right road, it doesn't always pin-point you to the correct building. For example, my post code (even my house number) points you to a totally different house further down the road! At least, with Street View, I can usually look for a name or number in advance, without having to wander up and down that road like an silly person! :D

If thieves were really determined to break in to your property, there are many other ways that they could obtain your address details... :roll:

I had mine removed - a camera plonked on a car around 10' in the air gives a totally different view on properties than someone stood on the pavement\road.

There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of paranoia. :wink:

Edit: Makes you wonder how the world ever got along without such gadgetry? A mate travelled up from Bhm on Sunday and complained that he got stuck on the M1 between Notts & Derby. When I asked why on earth hadn't he gone up the M6 or A38, because the World & his\her dog know of the roadworks - his response was a bit surprising for me. "'cos the Sat nav said so."

The PC version of my response was "You blitering silly person! Try driving with it off for a change, until the last mile or so?"

matt":wwqtq2ex said:
So am I the only one who who enjoys the freedom Streetview gives me to peer at peoples houses and zoom in in a way that, if done in person, would attract attention and challenges? I'm certainly invading other peoples privacy compared to what I could get away with before Streetview.

The point being is "privacy" is relative.

As I said, The jury is still out for me and I like the facility just as you seem to do...........however, your motive is inocent curiosity ( I hope :lol: ) whilst others may be more sinister. You can't ban something just 'cause others may misuse it tho.

"If thieves were really determined to break in to your property, there are many other ways that they could obtain your address details... "

yeah - loads of ways but not actually showing photos of your property with vehicles in the drive and possibly details of security lights etc.
to get that they'd have to make a visit and my point earlier was that Google view gives them the tools to research their potential targets from the safety of an armchair.

They travel out to here (the sticks) from the towns 15 - 20 miles away and as there are at least a dozen coppers living in the village, we have a very active watch facility.
The usual method is to cruise the streets at various times and the vehicles are ALWAYS clocked by someone and preventative action instigated. We have caught several known crims this way.
Reducing the number of times they need to be there in person must be a backward step in crime prevention.

I won't be removing my house just yet by the way as I'm undecided but I'm talking myself into it very quickly. :duno:

By the way - I am old - I am a computer geek - I am NOT paranoid but I don't want my posessions nicked!

Bob

Perhaps the powers that be keep an eye on surfing on this site, Cheltenham have been increasing their staff over recent months. Just imagine ten burglaries and 10 views by the same individual, I don't suffer from paranoia. :wink:

Back