Google street view intrusion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
I want my home picture removed from google street map.

Does anyone else think this is intrusive?
Why should they free of charge make money via adds etc from mine and every house in the Uk without first asking if we would like to be on it?
In the US they have now coupled to the photo, the name and tel numbers of the occupants.

If the government had done this without consultation, there would have been a riot.

Can anyone tell me how I get them removed?

wizer":89kc2bbg said:
First result in google

http://www.googletutor.com/2008/06/02/a ... reet-view/

Tho I've yet to see a sensible argument for how on earth it's an invasion of privacy.

Wiser

I checked mine a few days ago as it wasn't on until recently but you can see the type of cars we own and that I have a van etc.etc.

it strikes me that any potential criminal can now "cruise" the streets looking for a target without risking driving past and being clocked by our neighbourhood watch.

jury is still out but not sure I like it :duno:

Bob

wizer":c3pb7x0i said:
Tho I've yet to see a sensible argument for how on earth it's an invasion of privacy.

For me it's a matter of principle. We are now seeing restrictions, for spurious reasons, on members of the public taking photographs in public places, so why should Google have the freedom to take photographs of whatever they like :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

ok I understand that. That's more a point of principle. But it's not an invasion of privacy, really, is it? It's an amazingly useful tool. My wife and I are using it a great deal at the moment.

I've already broken my 'controversy' rule. I'm backing away quietly.

We are now seeing restrictions, for spurious reasons, on members of the public taking photographs in public places,

Personally I'm not bothered, but that is a valid point. How can a police officer claim that your private pics might be an aid to terrorists when Google picture the front gates of the SAS base?

Roy.

interesting also - my wife wife works at a prison and there are some high security catagories but if you use google earth you can zoom in right over the top and get some fairly detailed images of the layout and buildings.

Is that a security breach or what :duno:

Wizer
You miss the point.
How much are google paying you to let them rent a picture of your home and car?
They are using it to get adds etc..but did they ask your permission?

And they make finding the removal wording difficult to see because it is not where the US info is.
It is actually in very small fonts at the bottom of the property you want removing.

Many trades people and residnts of my town are having their home photos taken off.

Shultzy":6gt6lzpi said:
Remember that these images are more than a year old and unless they refresh them the views will age.

I can accurately date our street to no earlier than August /Sept 09 although interestingly, the main road is more than a year ago.

But....... security issues are still valid even if old because the crims can use the info to priority list those properties worth checking out. They will obviously "case" the joint before action.

I tuck my trailer and van into a corner of the drive where they can't be easily seen and although I empty the van every night, it is visible on google and in a crims' eyes - builders van = power tools :(

This is just another instance where there is far too much personal/private information is accessible on the internet:
Car security checks being used in reverse by car thieves to establish new paperwork for stolen cars.
Land Registry information being used to re-Register property by crooks.
Identity theft.
And that all stuff put out on the internet (private or otherwise) is stored on servers (somewhere in the world) for perpetuity.

Rod

cambournepete":30xsw79u said:
Paul Chapman":30xsw79u said:
... We are now seeing restrictions, for spurious reasons, on members of the public taking photographs in public places...
Completely incorrectly and not approved by government or police. :roll:

Such is the impact of Sec 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000, and the new Section 76 of the Counter Terrorism Act - that means anyone taking a photograph of a police officer, or member of the armed services could be deemed to have committed a criminal offence.

Weren't there a few instances of train-spotters being hassled by plod?

BTW, I have visited a few friends addresses worldwide and all the pictures seem to have been taken on dustbin collection day, so the refuse collectors or councils are involved in this action?

I got the pics of my house removed and, I have to say, it was easy painless!!

I wasn't so much bothered about pics of the house but they showed my open garage with tools etc visible.

It's very easy. You just pull up the offending pic and in the bottom left corner is a link saying"Report a problem". This takes you to an e mail page where you can ask for the pic to be removed. Takes a few days but, in my case anyway, it worked fine.

They took the piccies off and said sorry.....
soooo
How many people have taken their piccies of in the UK for them to apologize....?????

I bet they got a lot of angry e mails!

dicktimber":384cd40g said:
I bet they got a lot of angry e mails!

you're probably right. Plenty of paranoid old codgers in the UK ;)

Wizer touches on an interesting point. Similar threads come up over on the other forum and there definitely is a demographic split by age as to whether or not one is phased by things like Google StreetView.

Latest posts

Back