good to have friends

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I opened my door this morning to find this on my doorstep. It is 18 inches by 22 inches by about 10 inches deep.
Now all I have to do is work out how to get it on my small lathe.
P1000294.JPG

Very nice looking piece of timber :D

As to how to get it on your lathe - what do you have ? (bandsaw/chainsaw/handsaw etc.)
And if it's freshly cut,seal the ends quick!

Andrew

I have already sealed the ends with PVA.
I have a chainsaw and a bandsaw but that is only 4 inches deep. I was asked some time ago for a very large bowl so I think I will cut a 3.5 inch thick slab so that I can cut a good round blank on the bandsaw, trying to get everything as evenly balanced as possible before I put it on the lathe.
I have a Perform CCL which when I turn the headstock to make anything larger than 12 inch dia will vibrate very badly until I get the piece balanced.

Another thing I have considered is cutting down the bed bars of my old Record Lathe and fitting the headstock so that it goes on the end of my bench to make a simple bowl lathe. The only thing I need to do is work out the best way to mount my tool rest. Possibly free standing on a car wheel filled with concrete.

Back