Good to be back

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn

Established Member
Reaction score
After a house move and probs with the bt line its good to be back on line after nearly 3 weeks.
Now in a farm house near Taunton with a log burner I thought it only right that we should invest in a chainsaw :D . Our Countrywide store has a 10% off deal on Stihl chainsaws so off to take a gander then over to the workshop for some much needed turning time now we have finally unpacked the last box. :D :D

I have several stihls (only one is mine the others belong to work) and I rate them . I have an 023 , and the work saws are 260s and 230s (all with 16" bars) excepting my big beast 361 with 18" bar.

For someone like yourself who is going to use it primarily for firewood and blank conversion I would suggest that something like the 230 with a 14" bar would be ideal.

dont forget to also budget for chainsaw protective equipment (boots, leggings, gloves, and safety helmet with earmuffs and visor) which will cost near as much as the saw. Plus i'd get a couple of spare chains and a sharpening kit.

Ended up with a 181 with 14" guide bar plus helmet, visor, gloves and earmuffs.
Not the biggest of saws I admit but good enough for logs and sizing boards from our stock of air dried timber and green timber.
Spent the rest of the day turning a set of cup and cover legs for a coffee table then made a new sign post for the farm from a piece of 4"x4" green oak through morticed with an oak finger post fitted with turned oak pegs.
A very enjoyable day.

Latest posts

Back