good size sycamore bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefella83

Established Member
Reaction score
Photo-0084.jpg

Photo-0085.jpg

a very nice bit of sycamore that my dad put into planks about 9 years ago.
he cut the rest up for fire wood late last year and he is kicking himself now that i gave him this.
the planks were 3 inches thick and still sound but as my dad says( fire wood is money boy it pays the mortgage ).
i managed to salvage three planks so just to rub his nose in it i'm going to make him a coffee table to match the bowl.
hopefully he will get the message that if all the the planks don't sell stop selling it as fire wood and start selling it to woodturners.

Nice work treefella83!

Daft, I know, but i wanted to reach in and apply a finish....

After that bowl I doubt if Dad will need any more convincing... what's the price differential between firewood and 'trunwood' ?

If he cuts any more Sycamore/Plane it's a good idea to stack it on end to allow extra cellular 'water' to drain off... can leave patches of discolouration...

yes graham i tell my dad please stack the sycamore planks on the end or in minchinhamton talk stack they bu**ers up yer.
normally he puts the tree to plank on site for the the customer sometimes in their back garden but the rest is done in the field and everything is just left flat under cover.
everything gets sold to local timber merchants or other sawmills and the rest is fire wood .
every time i travel down south to visit my family i wish i had a 7.5 ton truck rather than a car.
but he is not a bad bloke he is my dad recently he posted to me 85 kg of solid burr oak which were off cuts from a private job and he has just felled three large elm trees ummmmmm plenty of off cuts i hope.

by the way im going to finish the bowl with danish oil as well as the table.
im sorry i always take my pics on the lathe unfinished but i take my pics using my mobile and i get the best pics in the shed.
i still apply danish oil by hand and not on the lathe.
cheers

I do like to see 'unfinished' work ...lets me imagination loose :wink:

Has your dad ever thought about adoption :wink: ... it would be even better if he lives near me :D

Nice work :D - I also suffered from "wanting to reach in",mainly because it just looks nice.
What diameter is it ? Can't guess from the picture (other than "quite big" :wink: )
And to think your dad was going to burn it :shock:

Andrew

thats a tasty bowl, theyres some sycamore logs near me, (about a mile walk)problem is without knowing what angle the best grain is at id end up butchering some nice logs,,i like the lathe too , is that the record ?, i have one but want the bowl turning arm, but have to get the swivel adapter first.This bowl turning mallarky is catching isnt it. Have a quiet word with your pop, but i think the bowl speaks for itself.

Back