Good mail order source for threaded inserts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering if anybody can recommend a fast and reliable source for screw in threaded inserts (ideally with more thread depth than is usual) for wood to suit threaded/adjustable feet in the range M8 to M12?

Thanks

Will they be seen?

We've got pretty uneven floors, and I've drilled a few bun feet on the bedroom stuff, and fitted M8 pronged tee nuts underneath, with a coach bolt bearing on the floor (head-end downwards). If you want to be really posh, you can drill a 9mm hole right through (up through the foot and the carcase floor), so you can get a screwdriver down to the end of the coach bolt (have to make a slot with a hacksaw in the end of the bolt). If you don't think the nuts will stay in place, a dab of superglue is probably sufficient.

This is sort-of how it works - takes far longer to draw than to do, and it's really easy if you have a pillar drill:

coachbolt foot.png

I only mention it because a bag of 25 bolts and a box of 100 T-nuts from Toolstation is presently about £14 altogether. It looks like they've stopped doing the fully-threaded variety, which is a nuisance, but they aren't scarce.

Hope it helps...

Attachments

• coachbolt foot.png
    coachbolt foot.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for going to so much trouble Eric. Mine is much less posh. I need some heavy duty saw horses, and would like to incorporate leveling feet so that I can set up say 3 of them to give what in effect is a level surface.

The coach bolt route sounds like the plan, but I'm a bit cautious of T nuts as there's not that much to hold them in place - I was thinking more of the screw in variety. Like this: http://www.insertsdirect.com/productCat ... 08dc80b4b6 Has anybody used these guys?

Plan B I guess is to just to tap the wood....

As I said, superglue (or Araldite) works surprisingly well.

For a saw horse, you could go up to M10 (I don't think you can get Tee nuts above that), or use Steve Maskery's preferred method of glueing-in ordinary nuts. Then you've got M12 or bigger!

If you don't want it to slip after adjustment, use a Nyloc nut instead with the insert inwards. I've done that too and it works well. If it's too tight you can lubricate it.

As a foot arrangement, the nut is loaded in such a way it's pushed together with the wood, but there's probably appreciable sideways force with a saw horse. I'd do M10 or M12 with Araldite-ed nuts (don't overdo the glue!). My workbench is held together with M12 and M10 bolts, and it's been fine for 28 years now!

Presumably you only need one leg done that way, for a saw horse, or do I have that wrong?

E.

Probably both legs Eric, in that I'd like to be able to adjust for overall height so that I can level up three in a row. (just getting set up to be able to glue up a heavy bench top in a while)

PS I've just ordered a small selection (some for stock) from M6 - 10mm from Inserts Direct: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOOD-INSERTS-TYPE ... 4ce8e6e82d

Seems OK. He came back very quickly to an e-mail, and sells small quantities on the E-Bay site above, or by the box from his own website. Small quantities are quite a bit more expensive.

They have various lengths, including the longer 25mm type in M8 and M10 I'd been hoping to get, but wasn't sure if they existed....

Back