good(ish) cheap(ish) straight plunge router bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a source of good enough straight 1/2" router bits - the really long ones - Ideally 65mm?

The kitchen fitters use them a lot, and I am finding that they are an all around amazing DIY tool - everything from fitting worktops to milling the tops of doors without having to do a contortionist act with a plane - anything that needs a dead straight line with a good finish, but I am am using Screwfix straight fluted ones at the moment and they really don't last very long and are a pain to plunge. I have seen a lot of Youtubers using spiral shanked bits, which by the look of them are cobalt but can't seem to find them anywhere.

If the Cobalt ones are ferocious in price, then I'd be more than happy to settle for some cheap-ish spiral bits that you chaps reccomend and consider the semi-disposable - it would be great if you could point out some good sources, and also what I should be searching for0.

Otherwise, if there are other makes which you think give significantly longer life and think they are worth the money, I'd like to hear about those as well.

Thanks

Steve

Some straight cutters are suitable for plunging/drilling. I used two today to cut mortices, I used a 3/8" one and a 1/2" one, both Trend Professional. Trend Pro 3/8" and larger have tips for plunging. Those blue Titan ones don't.

EDIT:Trend Pro aren't cheap but sometimes they come up on eBay and I've snagged some bargains there

Give CMT a go....cutters are excellent quality and very competitive prices. The TCT tips have special brazing system to give improved impact absorption and the TCT is from Cerametal
CMT part no:812.628.11 Straight carbide router bits - Long Series

I'd certainly second the CMT suggestion - before Axminster stopped stocking them I wen for CMT by preference. Since then I have become another convert to Wealden, but all my CMT bits are still going strong. And they're a very jolly shade of orange.

The Axcaliber bits I've had are also good, but they're a very boring beige. I know that shouldn't put me off, but it does a bit.

Sporky McGuffin":2lkj9ny8 said:
I'd certainly second the CMT suggestion - before Axminster stopped stocking them I wen for CMT by preference. Since then I have become another convert to Wealden, but all my CMT bits are still going strong. And they're a very jolly shade of orange.

The Axcaliber bits I've had are also good, but they're a very boring beige. I know that shouldn't put me off, but it does a bit.

Phew! I'm not the only one.

:D

Back