Good Forum for water tank help ? ( or help me please)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dee J":1nxyezzz said:
Old estate agent for-sale boards or other advertising boards are good - about 6mm thick twin-wall plastic material with a hollow core. Or for something a bit stronger, an offcut of conservatory roofing material - twin wall or triple wall polycarbonate.

But don't worry too much about it - a larger number of water tanks get by without a lid, or with any old bit of board laid over them.

Dee

or-sale boards ( i do like that idea :)?)

is it hygienic though?

anyway bit bussy with other things but hopeing to at least do water tank for mum on saturday

hmmm where to get a old sale board

cheers all

Greek Enigma":1a0us81h said:
hmmm where to get a old sale board

Dead easy !

Common all over the UK - usually fixed to a post outside any old house in any old street :wink: :lol: :lol:

Like any normal member of the public, you would of course have in your pocket, the usual screwdriver, hammer etc. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Hi everyone again (sorry been so long)

anyway today i thought omg i must find something to do this for my mum today

then i got a idea :idea:

i have some left over pvc hollow soffit in the shed (from when i was doing around the bottom of mobilehome)

this stuff http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/162643

it wasnt wide enough (but i thought if i cut it in half then join them it would work) prob is the slot joint is bad so i might just put tape on the top)

what you think (you can see what i mean about slotting together)
also will it be ok just to rest on top (not a full seal) plus expansion pipe was imposable to just make a hole and get lid in so i had to just cut a chunk from edge

and remember its just for hot water

and also i want to put back something thin but not to flexible to cover the pipes,& protect them from being knocked,check pics below
because really thin mdf (looks just like hardboard but had mdf sticker on it? was fitted and flexes to much

also i never seen mdf so thin??? its just like hardboard??....would mdf this thin contain the toxic glue?

anyway i want to clean out the tank

im thinking drain it, block with rag, clean tank well with dettol and water ????

anyone? :cry:

just want to make sure this will be ok

and what type of material/wood should i use to cover stud walls? (thinish needed)

as its for in the cupboard thing you see at bottom

Greek Enigma":1qkmc4aj said:
wow no reply after all this time? :cry: :(

Assumed you had done the work by now surely :?

You've answered most of the questions your self except the obvious - MDF is MDF whatever the thickness !

best of luck with the project

Bob

You worry too much.
Hot water header tanks often have no lids or just a bit of old board.
Never heard of anyone cleaning/washing out this sort of hot water system (although I was brought up to avoid using hot water for drinking/cooking).
Wall cladding/ drywall/ divider in that cupboard... ply/ hardboard/ mdf/ plasterboard/ t&g softwood planks all get used in that sort of situation.
If you're concerned about formaldehyde in mdf (which some people seem to be) then stick with plasterboard or natural timber.

Dee

Lons":2kh865bj said:
Greek Enigma":2kh865bj said:
wow no reply after all this time? :cry: :(

Assumed you had done the work by now surely :?

You've answered most of the questions your self except the obvious - MDF is MDF whatever the thickness !

best of luck with the project

Bob

lol did it donks ago

just noticed that no reply after so long that's all

and i mainly did it as it cuts the noise down a hella lot

and i dnt want to bath and see a spider pop out the tap lol

Dee J":13pquj0e said:
You worry too much.
Hot water header tanks often have no lids or just a bit of old board.
Never heard of anyone cleaning/washing out this sort of hot water system (although I was brought up to avoid using hot water for drinking/cooking).
Wall cladding/ drywall/ divider in that cupboard... ply/ hardboard/ mdf/ plasterboard/ t&g softwood planks all get used in that sort of situation.
If you're concerned about formaldehyde in mdf (which some people seem to be) then stick with plasterboard or natural timber.

Dee

usually i like to just change a filler tank with a byelaw kit (so its nicely filtered) as alot of people have had rats etc in the filler tank

just this was in such a awkward spot i decided to make a lid (as no shop has a lid for this daym tank)

& who wants to bath in rat water lol

i know this wont happen in this case as where it is but i dnt want spiders in it (anyway its all finished all took only 5 mins once i found some plastic for the job, also changed the ballvale at same time as was the old style ball vale on this)
believe me if i built the place i would of used plasterboard

one last thing is hardboard also mdf? just called hardboard because so thin?

just with children in the house i like to have it as safe as poss thats all

thankyou dee j

Latest posts

Back