Good deal for those with a P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my planer for a couple of years now and I've never changed the blades although it came with a spare pair, because I was unsure about getting them set right.

This gizmo looks like just the job and Rutlands video helps make it look easy too.

They sent me an email this morning featuring them so my order is on its way,

regards

Brian

Hold on guys. I think the general consensus with these is they they are a bit of a gimmick....

Wizer
They are not the same as the ones that were discussed recently. These ones have pivoting magnetic attachments that allow flexibility of spindle size. It's not easy from the pic to see the pivoting feet.

Alan

WiZeR":2v06f4yy said:
Hold on guys. I think the general consensus with these is they they are a bit of a gimmick....

Who cares, they've got brass knobs :shock: :lol: :lol:

No, they look good, watch the video and you'll see.

Cheers, Paul :D

(hoping he doesn't have to eat humble pie when they turn up next week....)

I'd have thought that the magnetic attraction onto the cutting edge of the newly honed knives could easily take the edge off them.
It is usually very difficult to control the approach magnet to steel when the gap becomes very small.
Maybe someone could do a short review.

If they are that good I wonder why Rutlands are reducing them so heavily?

Bob

I have had a set for while now, I have found them to very easy to use, I have set the blades on my Tendo P/T quite a few times and every time they are spot on.

At that price I would recommend buy them, I paid a lot more when I bought mine from Rutlands

Hmm... unconvinced.
I have a set of identical (chinese made, wooden box, poorly translated instructions) ones I bought from Poolewood a couple of years ago. If these are as good then even at the reduced price of £19.95 they're still overpriced.....

.....by about £19.00!

I hope someone will do a review of this as i have just set my planer blades and found it a real PITA.

i was going to buy them but with the negative comments i dont know what to do :)

Mike

Well impressed with Rutlands service, ordered them yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning! :shock: I haven't had time to try them yet (See my Ranch gates posts) will give them a try later in the week. I did notice on the box it states Made in Taiwan. Hmm we will see. :?

Looking at the customer reviews, Mark Barnes has given them five out of five, so they can't be that bad. I'd be interested to hear how they work...

Do they 'stick' to the cutter block so you don't have to push down if your knives are supported by springs?

Yes Olly, they are magnetic and have magnetic feet which attach to the cutter block. Magnets also hold the blade in position on the end of two micrometer setting guages. :wink:

Has anyone received and tried their setting jigs yet? I heard they come without instructions.

Have recieved them so will do a review at some point. I can see how they would be good for the generic sip, axminster, record pt260 'clones' as the out feed table is removable to allow access to the cutter block but I'm a bit stumped as how to use them on my jointer. They do come with instruction but it's really vague and only on a small sheet of A5. Basically you would set one blade using the old referenced peice of wood, rotate the block and measure the movement. With that blade locked in place and the outfeed table removed it would be easy to set the jig the that blade and set the other one to exactly the same height. I ditched my pt260 as a jointer (useless!!!) and only use it as a thicknesser. I have removed the tables just to make it easier to use and store but this means I have no way to reference the blade height without the table tops. They are set correctly now from before the tables were removed so my plan for these jigs was just to take the blade height setting for this machine only and then never touch them. They get changed or at least turned over (reversable blades) about once a month so as long as there's not much play in the the jig for my perticular circumstances they should be fine. The only way I can see them working on the jointer is to remove the cutter block and set the blade off the main machine. Not sure how easy that is but because it's a three bladed jobbie I might give it a try once and see.

I've got a set and have yet to use them in anger. My first reaction was, that's quite neat, reasonably robust, nicely finished, good knobs. Then I came to put them on my kity and thought the same as you - not enough space to use them. And I certainly don't want to have to remove the whole cutter block!

But the problem was with me, I had the table too high. By retracting the infeed table to give max depth of cut I had plenty of room to work on the head itself. I guess it is possible that a small machine is too small to use these, but they will fit on my 637 with the outfeed table up and the infeed maxed back.

So I suggest you try that, get the jigs on the blade as it is now (assuming it is currently set OK) and take a reading. Record it in the lid of the box for future reference.

There are instructions, but they are a bit sketchy.

As I say, I've not actually used them to set blades yet, just had a little play.

Cheers
Steve

I work off of the out feed table using a home made jig, sets all three cutters to the same height and level with the table.

Roy.

Back