Good blades bad blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrygary

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I need to get some new blades can someone tell me what to get and not to get ive seen blades on eBay (any good) Ive only just started scroll sawing , what site is best to get them from many thanks :|

As with all things ebay there is good and bad.
I use both the Pegas and Hobbies blades The Hobbies ones are in fact Niqua both types of blade and both sellers are very good and both sellers also have their own websites.
I know that many members swear by Flying Duchman blades from the USA also on ebay but I have never tried them.
I would be wary of many of the rest with regards to quality.

Hi Harygary Welcome to the site,we all have a favorite blade that we use.Personally I use P'egas and Flying Dutchman Blades both are very good.

Bryan

I get all of my blades direct from Hegner, price is not low, but competitive with other quality blades.

My used blade count is in the thousands and I have never had a bad blade yet, from this supplier.

Take care.

Chris R.

Be careful buying off e-bay, there is a lot of rubbish on there. Hobbies sell their blades on e-bay and they are very good, cheaper as well if you buy from e-bay rather than their web site. I have used most makes of blades and now just use Flying Dutchman ultra reverse for all my work, no complaints, they last a lot longer than other blades as well. Postage from the US is comparable with here and I don't normally wait more than 4 or 5 days for delivery.

Flying Dutchman blades are made in Germany (different brand name). I used to have a link to the manufacturers site but no way could I find a European retail source for them.

I would personaly go with one or more of these, being the 'major' brands - P'egas, Proxxon, Niqua and Flying Dutchman. I use the latter, supplied by Mike, I've tried others, some good some not so. The main reason I use them is I can talk to the supplier and get prompt advice, and they seem to be the one most talked about. As we ask for advice on the various forums those people who recommend them must have a point, but like anything in life we all have our own views, might be best to buy from a few or all and make your own mind up.

As I understand things, there are very few actual blade manufacturers, so going with the major brands is the advice I hear all the time as everything else has been badged for someone else from them anyway. I see Flying dutchman and Olson recommended a fair bit, pegas, too.

If you're unsure on which blades to get you should probably do a google search for scrollsaw blade advice/tutorials, there are a few resources out there that will explain all of the different types of blade (there are quite a few), the types of cut they make and which situations to use them in. teeth per inch isn't the only criteria!!

Lastly, you haven't said which type of blades your scroll saw takes, does it take pinned or plain end blades? The plain end (pinless) blades are more desirable for doing intricate inside cuts as you can use smaller guide holes for your blades.

Niqua and Flying Dutchman are the same blades, just rebranded for the USA.
Olsen are also rebrands but I forget their original name.
I have used Pegas for a while now and had my first blade break today. Not bad.

I've got Some Niqua on the way and hopefully they are as good as people say they are.

benjimano":1xcmth2k said:
Olsen are also rebrands but I forget their original name.

Olson belong to a big company called Blackstone Industries and make blades for various types of saw. I don't think they are rebranded as the brand has been around for 80 years.

Martin, who has been wrong before. :)

Back