goblet advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
having recently annihilating a nice piece of purple heart trying to get it square enough for inside out turning and failing miserably :oops: , I have now shelved that idea until we either get more suitable equipment or I get better at using it and want a go at goblets. So, the advice I am looking for is what wood is good for them? and, if they are going to be functional, what finish is safe?

All fruitwoods are nice (apple,cherry etc) - ash,sycamore and beech should also be okay.
As for a finish,I use Chestnuts Food Safe Finishing Oil for fruitbowls,or I guess melamine lacquer could be used (don't think there is anything completely liquid-proof,so would still need rinsing out straight after use)

Andrew

Hi All

Our Food Safe Finish isn't really designed for holding liquids; it will do so to a limited degree but we offer no guarantee about it. We've had requests from people wanted to use it to contain red wine and hot drinks before now, you can imagine the problems if the goblet leaked!

We can't really recommend the Melamine Lacqer (or any other product for that matter) as it hasn't been tested for food contact and the same problems about holding the liquid apply.
I am not aware of anything on the market that will do this job with 100% results and I'm always wary about some of the claims made either by other suppliers or by users about other supplier's products. We don't make any claims that we can't support with relevant certificates.

My understanding is that in days of olde goblets were left untreated and when they started to leak they were thrown away. No-one was sued at the time because an expensive suit or dress was ruined!

thanx for that advice, I shall make it from one of the woods suggested and finish with 'food safe oil' ( Once I can get in the workshop again!)
but warn they are mainly for decorative use, must be rinsed soon as used and may leak over time. cheers.

Back