Go on have a laugh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought it was getting a little heated in the last thread so decided to post new thread ( the last thing I want is people falling out in a thread of my posting).

Well I did not think anyone could make so many mistakes in one day?
I decided not to use the pattern of the clock because my machine takes pin end blades (will have to buy some)
but comes with a universal adapter for pinless blades (which consist of a pair of rollers
with allen studs in each end to trap the blade)! what a faff to fit the blades.

I found a pattern of a Teddy by Tina Chatery on Intarsia 101 site and decided to have a go at that instead.

First mistake choosing 1/2inch ply for the main body!
Second sticking the pattern with Photomount!Could not get it off without sanding, must have lost two layers of
ply (grain was running right way until sanded)
Third not practicing any saw cuts before I started!
Fourth cutting all my bits out in one go not checking if they fit!
And the list goes on infinitum?
The blades kept falling out of the saw (universal rollers kept sliding off the blade holders) had to strip the machine
and do a Heath Robinson repair? decided in the future to just use pin end blades
Did not read the instructions until I had finished the job and wondered why all my parts were ill fitting
What a disastrous day!
What a wally!
Having said all that I did enjoy my first attempt at Intarsia and the fiasco has not dampened my spirits I will have another go after I get some different blades and have done a little more reading.

I used a 10 Tpi blade for all the work is there anywhere on the net that gives a chart for what blade Tpi to use in what situation?
anyway I promised you a laugh so here is the offending Teddy

There's a guide to blade selection here. Basically, try out a variety of blades and use whatever works for you! You'll get a better feel for this with experience.

Richard Blizzard (remember him?) had a motto; "I too will something make, and joy in the making". To my mind, that's what woodworking is all about. We create joy and if we also happen to create something we're proud of, that's a bonus. Okay, so there are faults with teddy but you've still created something charming and developed your technique along the way. I call that a success :) .

Can I let you into a secret? I wouldn't dream of tackling intarsia because I don't think I'm good enough. I reckon intarsia has to be the most challenging form of scrolling and it can take years to master. Keep plugging away, though - I suspect that with a little more practice you might surprise yourself.

Oh, and definitely use solid wood throughout next time :lol: .

Gill

I agree with Gill and the Grinding One - for a first effort at intarsia, that's not at all disreputable. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have done worse on their first effort.

You are right about the benefit of doing practise cuts first. The blades have a bias as I am sure you have worked out by now and until your fingers have "learned" the angle for the blades you use, it is useful to remind them with a practise cut or two first.

Back