gluing wood to polystyrene for strip lights - update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dedee":kw267h0y said:
no under floor heating just 6" concrete with ceramic tiles on top

I put a match to a small piece of the insulation tiles, it smokes, smells and melts rather than actually catching alight but I take you point - not at all ideal

Andy

It sounds like the type with retardant. But, given the construction, the insulation isn't doing much for you. I'd still take it off, TBH. Incidentally, you can get fire retardant paint for polystyrene, as it's used a lot in stage scenery. I used some a few years back, but IIRC it was hellishly expensive - something like £70 for 25 litres... (later) I think it was this. It gave a good result with overpainted emulsion.

Although the ceiling appeared to comprise solely of insulation I discovered that there are in fact 4" wide concrete beams spaced every 60 cms running across the roof so I was able to fix the new light with long screws and rawlplugs by just cutting a hole large enough to take the drill chuck.

Just out of interest is there a limit on how many strip lights can be linked together in series?

Andy

PS although a potential fire/smoke risk the insulation will stay put for now but I have added 2 smoke alarms in the garage.

Back