gluing wood to polystyrene for strip lights - update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add some more strip lights in my garage but the ceiling comprises of 8" of polystyrene insulation with polystyrene tiles on the surface

Do you think I could attach strip lights to a board clued to the polystyrene tiles ?

If so what would be a suitable product?

Cheers

Andy

OK, Sorry, not a wind up. But obviously not a good idea. I can't imagine how I can drill through 8" of insulation into concrete, fix a rawlplug and then attach the lights without making a right old mess. I certainly don't have masonry drills that long.

The one light that is there, IMO, must have been fixed in place before the insulation was added.

Any ideas how I can fix more lights.?

DSCN5263.jpg

The garage is quite low only about 6'6" and I now have benches & cupboards all down the right and at the far end.

Should I consider fitting them on the left hand wall?

Thanks

Andy

Could you put lights on the wall?

The way i would do it, cut out square channels to fit a bit of wood in, say 4x4. Fix into the concrete so your now 4" away from the surface, fix another batten on top of (well under) it. so your now at the surface of your titles. Poly foam around the battens to gain insulation back (plus adds strength) then you can attach your lights to these battens

With a 4x4" cut out you should be able to get a normal sized drill bit and your drill into the channel to drill!

I could use the left hand wall but with the ceiling so low I fear that I will always be in shadow.

Threaded rod and resin has some merit - thanks. I'd have to get a long masonry bit and see how long the nozzles are on those resin tubes.

:idea: Last night I thought about stretching some wire (tensioned) across the garage and hanging the lights from that. I could then slide them from side to side to ensure that they were always above where I am working.
Crazy idea?

Cheers

Andy

dedee":1iyakk1c said:
I could use the left hand wall but with the ceiling so low I fear that I will always be in shadow.

Threaded rod and resin has some merit - thanks. I'd have to get a long masonry bit and see how long the nozzles are on those resin tubes.

:idea: Last night I thought about stretching some wire (tensioned) across the garage and hanging the lights from that. I could then slide them from side to side to ensure that they were always above where I am working.
Crazy idea?

Cheers

Andy

Get yourself one of these

p4762789_l.jpg

light wherever you are. Sorry couldn't resist. :lol:

You can easily get drill bits upto 12" long. Then get some sleeve anchors and swap the small threaded rod for a longer threaded rod and Bobs your uncle so to speak. And cheaper than resin etc.

HIH

Dibs

Run a batten of 2 x1 across ceiling supported with shelf brackets to wall at each end and silicone batten to polystyrene. to stop it bowing in middle. I would try that first. Not best solution but may work.

Nobody seems to have mentioned this, so perhaps I should:

This whole enterprise seems really dangerous.

If it's used as a garage, polystyrene could become a deathtrap in a fire. When it burns, it emits dense black smoke and highly toxic fumes - a big reason why the old ceiling tiles are banned.

If it's used as a workshop, PVC covered cables (twin+earth) shouldn't be run next to polystyrene, as the styrene given off causes the PVC insulation to break down. You can duct the cables, but you have to be really careful.

Bluntly, you may want to consider an alternative form of insulation, at least for the ceiling. You might get by with ducted cables, but you've already said the ceiling is very low. Fluorescents would take off about 4" of height, and more if you want to protect the tubes.

I'd be inclined to replace the ceiling with 2" or 3" Rockwool (fireproof), and use the opportunity to arrange the lighting as you need it.

Eric, that is an interesting point and thank you for bringing it up.

I am not at all sure what the building codes are in France. the house was built 18 years ago and the polystyrene covers the whole of "sous sol" ie the whole area under the house, which is twice the size of area shown in my earlier picture.

I'd heard about styrene breaking down PVC sheathing before and in my old workshop I conducted an experiment sandwiching a piece of cable with polystyrene, after at least 8 years there was no visible signs of the PVC breaking down. I am not suggesting it can't happen, just an observation of my own unscientific experiment.

I am not at all sure what do next now.

Ripping all that insulation down seems one hell of a fag. But form a H&S point a few perhaps I should. I will try and find out more about how, why and if this form of insulation is still used. Could it have been treated with a fire retardant perhaps.

Andy

dedee":2c00k14g said:
I am not at all sure what do next now.

Break a small piece off from somewhere it doesn't matter, take it out of doors on a not-too-windy-day, and try putting a match to it.

If your garage is below the house, the insulation on the ceiling isn't quite pointless, but nearly so. Is it because you have underfloor heating. perhaps?

no under floor heating just 6" concrete with ceramic tiles on top

I put a match to a small piece of the insulation tiles, it smokes, smells and melts rather than actually catching alight but I take you point - not at all ideal

Andy

Back