gluing veneer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob_c

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone succesfully used vacuum storage bags as a cheap veneer press.If so any info on type.I would think some are pretty flimsy plastic.

I used rubble sacks from Do it All. 35p each, no holes and sturdy.

Roy.

i often used vacuum storage bags for light veneering, i find they work well, a bit of trial and error to get the correct pressure as u have to keep sucking the air out at intervals, quick setting pva is also helpful

cheers
Rob

Thanks for the replies.So they do leak?
Roy,how do you close the rubble sacks.WHat do you use as a valve.I have a handheld vacuum pump like you use for car engines and vacuum filtering ,would that be any use.

No they don't leak Bob, at least the ones I bought don't.
I used a a conventional cold water tank fitting with rubber seals and a ball valve to hold the vacuum, the type often used to isolate the water supply to washing machines. I sealed the bags by folding the top and sliding a length of 22mil plastic pipe that I had sawn down one side and slid it along the fold, similar to the bag closure used on some vacuum cleaner bags.
There was an article on the net about it some time ago that I copied this all from, it was an American site about using a freezer compressor as a vacuum pump. I'm afraid I can't recall the site now but if you can find it it was most helpful.

Roy.

Bob c if interested in vacuum bag press take a look at joewoodworker.com loads of helpful hints and info for self build vac press. cheers john c

Thanks for the replies on this topic,i have the end sealers sorted but stuck on what to use as a one way bag valve,which will attach to 8mm inside diameter flexible tubing.The flexible tubing connects to my vacuum hand pump made by Mityvac. Ive used this pump for other things(as a built on gauge) and its capable of pulling a vacuum up to 30" Hg.Is this sufficient for veneering?
I read the ideas in the above link but sounds a bit complicated to me.
Any ideas on what to use as a valve?
Roys water tank connecter idea is good but too large for the 8 mm tube.

8 mill? That sounds like a job for a Schrader valve. That level of vacuum would be marvelous.

Roy.

Roy it isnt a oneway valve i need,apoligies, the pump has a valve in it which holds a vacuum well.So it just need a airtight way of connecting to the bag.Something with a nozzle on it so i can attach the tubing.

Try your local pet shop, they use inline on/off valves on aquaria. Or clamp the tube?

Roy.

Thanks for the idea,but its a way of making an air tight seal to the bag that im after, so i can just slide the tube on and fasten it with a jubilee clip .Something like in this sketch.
84505200-Untitled-1.jpg

Oh I'm with you now. If you're not keen on saw slitting a length of plastic pipe, try vacuum cleaner bag closures or the plastic things that you slide loose papers into. Damned if I know what they're called but they are usually black plastic and trangular in section.
Hope that helps.

Roy.

Digit":2c2tng6p said:
Oh I'm with you now. If you're not keen on saw slitting a length of plastic pipe, try vacuum cleaner bag closures or the plastic things that you slide loose papers into. Damned if I know what they're called but they are usually black plastic and trangular in section.
Hope that helps.

Roy.
No Roy i have that sorted after your previous suggestion of slitting plastic pipe,thats the method i,ll be using for the end closures.Its the part between the tube and the bag in the sketch above.

Back