Gluing MDF panelled doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a set of four wardrobe doors which are to be painted. The plan is to make the door frames out of 19mm MDF and the panels from 6mm MDF.

Normally I make solid wood frames and leave the panels floating but as all the material is MDF, I would like to glue the panels in for extra strength.

Would this be OK?

Thanks
Mike

I use 22mm Medite, I've tried MR MDF and find it a bit soft. Use plenty of glue and avoid over clamping the door or it'll bow. Incidentally what MR MDF do you use Dan, I might try it, every body else bar me seems to be keen, have you compared it to Medite?

Thanks for the replies.

The doors are fairly small so I think I will get away with the 19mm. I'll glue it well and not over clamp as suggested.

I've heard others recommend the MR MDF so maybe I'll try it next time.

Cheers
Mike

Oryxdesign":1akqzrpx said:
I use 22mm Medite, I've tried MR MDF and find it a bit soft. Use plenty of glue and avoid over clamping the door or it'll bow. Incidentally what MR MDF do you use Dan, I might try it, every body else bar me seems to be keen, have you compared it to Medite?

The stuff I'm using at the moment is Medite MR MDF! It's beige coloured with a green core.

I either use this or Finsa MR MDF, which is green all the way through. There are some rubbish ones about, though - such as the stuff stocked by Travis Perkins!

Cheers
Dan

I tend to favour the Caber MR MDF which is also green all the way through.

I use 22mm for inframe kitchen doors & wardrobes but 18mm for lay-on kitchen size doors, 9 & 6mm panels respectively, glued in.

Jason

Thanks Dan, it' the Medite MR MDF I've tried, I did a back to back test with my painter and he thought it was slightly worse so I guess it's very dependent on paint. Simon

Back