Gluing - how long to leave clamped

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth - this is the thing I was gluing up, lots of offcuts of pitch pine that was going for kindling. it is to eventually form a little stumpy leg for a coffee table - I'm going to add three lttlr splayed leg to the bottom of it, how I do that is still a biy=t of a mystery - lol

xLeg.jpg

That looks to be chunky enough. Dont see it being a problem.
Has a nice grain pattern going on. Would like to see a pick of the finished item.
Regards
John

If white glue isn’t set after 24 hours, either it’s off, or more likely it’s too cold to be gluing stuff up.
If there is a lot to do, and you need to get in have your considered PU glue? You can get it from 5 min set up to around 45 min. Most are completely waterproof…..and sticks just about anything to anything!
Im finding that problem just now due to winter , it can be a pain when eager to get back in shed next day to start project again

Squeeze it up until the joints are visibly closed. If not under any stress, should be safe to release after an hour. If it is stressed keep it clamped for a few hours.
If you over tighten you may be introducing stresses which then cause movement on release.
I recently looked up the difference between cramp and clamp. A cramp is used to force movement, whereas a clamp merely holds the position. They may be one and the same of course.
Brian
Hi Yojevol. Often wondered what the difference was but never thought to check it out lol. Thanks for that. Do you think its an American term because I've always used sash cramps and G cramps. The loose head type to fit on to a wooden bar are/were sold as cramp heads in the UK not clamp heads. Tool shops and online stores tend to use the term clamps for everything these days. I don't suppose it really matters as long as you get what you want and it works. Tony

Back