Glueing magnets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone recommendations for what glue / adhesive to use for fixing small 12mm x 2mm disc magnets to cabinet doors. Thanks Geoff

I used epoxy resin, the 24 Hr stuff. Just make sure it has gone off before using the doors else the magnets will move/ pull out!

Epoxy works well. Works even better if you drill a countersink for the magnet. Alternatively, you can buy the magnets with the hole to screw it in, although probably not for 2mm

Does Superglue work ok? The normal stuff? I was worried epoxy maybe too thick. G

I've used both. Size of magnet you have will have a max pull of about 1.5Kg so well within the strength of either glue if you have a good bond.

Giff":3r2ot1m8 said:
Does Superglue work ok? The normal stuff? I was worried epoxy maybe too thick. G

I f you find a model shop, they will stock the thin stuff

I have small circular magnets superglued on both the headstock & tailstock of the lathe.
The headstock ones hold regularly used allen keys & a small paint brush (infinitely useful) whilst the tailstock ones hold a 6" rule & a set of digital calipers. A countersunk magnet screwed to the end of a pencil means it's always to hand.
The reason for gluing is so that the magnet stays attached to the lathe rather than come away with the tool.

I have one on a 24 inch stick, usually stuck underneath the Record Bandsaw-----------always handy to find small bits of metal (screws etc.)dropped in the sawdust that usually covers the floor of my Workshop

I use the biscuit jointer to make a slot in the edge of the door, and then slip the magnet in and cover with a glued-in shaped piece of matching timber which can then be planed flush. Magic catches!

Giff":1br96m2j said:
Peter what’s on the other side? or do you put magnets on both? G

I've done two magnets, but that can be quite powerful and the challenge is to get them in line. So what I use now is
magnet one side and I buy those metal joining strips from B&Q from the other. They are easy to cut and fix.

https://www.diy.com/departments/abru-li ... 268_BQ.prd

PS I'm not Peter, sorry to butt in.

I’ve had success with 5kg pull magnets by counterboring and gluing with epoxy. As has been said, it is important to allow the epoxy to set up for at least 24 hrs before using. One magnet in door in opposing magnet in aluminium housing fastened in cabinet.

Latest posts

Back