glue and cold weather

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Glued up the lid on the domino box last evening and kept it indoors overnight.
The instructions with the glue are that it cures in 24 hours, does that mean I should not take it back into the cold workshop until late this afternoon?
Its all end grain, so need a really good stick up.

Yes. PVA glues generally have an open time of 5 minutes to 20 minutes, a set time in the order of 1 to 6 hours, but are normally only fully cured after 24 hours - all at a nominal 20° Centigrade. Any glue containing water (and PVA, aliphatic resins, etc are water-based) will need to be kept indoors and above 5°C throughout the winter and your components will also need to be "warmed up" through the colder months to prevent cold timber chilling the joints. PVA held for prolonged periods at or near freezing point will simply break-down. The tell tale symptoms to look for ar joints that have dried white rather than clear. In a similar vein UF/RF and other water mixed glues need handling the same way at glue up time, whilst PU glues such as Gorilla glue will simply cease to foam properly much below about 8°C. Epoxy glues such as West simply cure slower in cold temperatures

Scrit

Thanks Scrit,
I called the wife into the computer room and said read that, I must use the kitchen during the winter!

She said "Scrit can go to ............"

Only joking, sincere thanks for your very informative advice.

I'm only trying to help with the technical bits - the marraige guidanve I leave to others.......

BTW it is possible to rig-up a warmer box using a pendant light fitting, lightbulb and insulated biscuit tin to keep stuff from freezing in the winter. Greenhouse heaters in the bottoms of cupboards are another less Heath Robinson approach. But you'll still need to find somewhere warm for the glue to set........... I can see you sleeping in the shed :lol:

Scrit

I've sneaked it into the computer room, whilst she is watching eastenders :wink:

sled1w.jpg

If you dont hear from me tomorrow you know I'm in trouble.

DW, how about some heating in the workshop? Mrs DW said it would be OK by her (if it keeps your glue out of the house)

I've got a corrugated asbestos roof with a lot of ventilation and I dont like keeping you lot warm on my money.

I've tried on the forum to get someone to come down here and have a holiday and fix my roof but no luck todate.

Back