Glow in the Dark Vinyl Sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthraquinone

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used any of this type or product. Glow in the Dark Vinyl Sheet. It is available on eBay etc at about £4 for a A4 sheet. I was thinking about using it for the backing of a dinosaur silhouette for my gandson's bedroom. The plan would be to attach this sheet to a backing board and then screw ?? the plywood cutout to that. I am not sure if you can easly / reliably attach vinal to plywood with an adhesive I will look into that and see what CA will do.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated

AQ

Anthraquinone":354t7l73 said:
Has anyone used any of this type or product. Glow in the Dark Vinyl Sheet. It is available on eBay etc at about £4 for a A4 sheet. I was thinking about using it for the backing of a dinosaur silhouette for my gandson's bedroom. The plan would be to attach this sheet to a backing board and then screw ?? the plywood cutout to that. I am not sure if you can easly / reliably attach vinal to plywood with an adhesive I will look into that and see what CA will do.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated

AQ

sounds interesting so look forward to seeing your experiments, I would have thought something like Bostik or Evostik type glue would work? or what about double sided sticky tape? Wilkinsons sell some DS Tape that is very good and cheap.
Cheers
Brian

Cyno will be fine. Make sure the surface you stick the vinyl to is perfectly clean though.

You can get paint too you know. :)

Never used vinyl but we used to sell 3mm thick acrylic in yellow and orange which effrctively glowed in the dark. Can't remember the technology behind it but it needed a daylight or artificial light source to activate it a bit like the coating on the pointers of a watch.

I have bit I had stuck under the light switch in my workshop for years, in a drawer somewhere now.

I have tried the paint but the lot I have needs many 6 - 8 coates to give a strong glow and it is difficult to get an even coating as unlike normal paint the thickness of he layers has a strong effect on the strength of the glow. With normal paint the thickness of the layers does not really matter.

Lons. I will have a another look at the acrylic sheet but when I looked earlier the were described as fluorescent which strictly means that they need to be continously exposed to light as oposed to phosphorent which is the glow in the dark property.

I guess I will get a sheet or two of the vinal and see what happens. It will have to wait a couple of weeks though.

AQ

Anthraquinone":k13dxbkq said:
Lons. I will have a another look at the acrylic sheet but when I looked earlier the were described as fluorescent which strictly means that they need to be continously exposed to light as oposed to phosphorent which is the glow in the dark property.
AQ

It was many years ago when I was in the industry and I can't remember the manufacturer but definitely not the fluorescent acrylic which ideally needs to be edge illuminated for best effect. It was yellow on the face side which produced the phosphorent light and plain on the back. Probably discontinued now the bits I had were samples around 100 x 50 mm and as long as exposed to light for a while they would glow in the dark for hours. The light emitted was a bit creepy really.

If you have a local Amari Plastics branch anywhere near you they are worth a phone call or contact them on line as they tend to know what's available on the market.

Latest posts

Back