Gloat or Groan?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Our local farmer has said I can help myself to any wood that is down on his land. This fell three years ago and he has just sawn it up a bit as it was across a footpath. Where do start. My 14" chainsaw seems suddenly puny. The tree was about 40ft high when standing. Some of the wood is dead and spalted some still has leaves so will need drying.

SWMBO is 5' by the way (well 4' 11 1/2" and in denial)

If I can work out how to do it there's a couple of nice coffee tables in there apart for all the wood for turning.

Keep you in miniatures for a while Graham :lol:

Pete

Keep you in miniatures for a while Graham

and the next generation ...

fill your boots Pete :wink:

Great find,Pete :D
Looks like there are some nice bits of timber for turning.Not enough big bits to make it worth getting a mobile sawmill in?

Andrew

PowerTool":iwrd6qxp said:
Great find,Pete :D
Looks like there are some nice bits of timber for turning.Not enough big bits to make it worth getting a mobile sawmill in?

Andrew

That's new territory to me. The ground would be pretty inaccessible it's a sort of ravine. The trunk is about 5ft max across and has been cut into several 10ft lengths. I am going to have a go at cutting the best I can. The farmer obviously managed to cut through the trunk in two swipes looking at the mark so it might be worth having a word with him. Wonder if he wants any 'exclusive, unique turned ware?' :lol:

Pete

Bodrighy":369ttiyw said:
Wonder if he wants any 'exclusive, unique turned ware?'

Bartering still alive and well in the Southwest,then.. :wink:
I had the same thought - someone near you has a saw big enough to fell it,so should be able to log it.

Andrew

Hi Mrs S

Long time no hear, any more fancy turnings to amaze us with. The rate you were progressing I'd expect something really special by now!!!

My 'better 1/3rd' says that precious gifts come in small packages but her dad used to pint out that poison comes in small bottles :lol:

If anything over 5ft is showing off there's no hope for me, I'm 6' 5" :cry:

Pete

6' 5?? that's just downright flash!! :lol:

Not been on for a while because (as I have whined on about before) I work full time on nights and have a 'gaggle' of elderly family members who take a fair bit of time to help out, so after a busy spell I just don't have time to turn, and it was almost a month since i got in there untill the past few afternoons. :(

BUT, in a weeks time I get 8 days off and I want to clear the decks to get a few days to 'live in' in the workshop!! sliver can feed me through a straw!! :lol:

Back