glass hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, me again.

I want to make a book type thing out of 2 small glass sheets.Im hoping to edge the sides with foil tape.. thats as far as Ive got(other than attempting to make my own hinges out of small tubes/rods then soldering them to the foil, which doesnt work), how can I make it hinge open?

You know how to pick em don't you! Maybe you could try joining a hinge assembly with this?

ike

I made a card out of perspex, drilled holes then managed ot find some craft hinges which I could attatch with eyeleys but eyelets require a large hammer which isnt advisable for glass.
I did find some hinges with no holes so I bought some glass araldite the other day so I will give that a go.

Hi

hope this is some help...

Don't edge with foil tape - use something a bit thicker like a shim brass or copper. Should be able to find something thin enough in a craft/modelling shop. Bend strips of the metal into a long thin u section and frame the glass with that. It shouldn't need gluing to the glass, just solder it together at the four corners to make a complete frame around the glass. For hinges, either make some from the same metal or buy some small ready made brass hinges and solder to the frame. I've had sucess with this method for making small lanterns. As an alternative to brass, try thin steel drinks cans (not aluminium ones) - should cut OK with scissors - just mind the sharp edges. Clean well with emery/ wirewool/ whatever to help the solder stick.

Good luck

Dee

How about i get a metal tube, slice it down one side, open it up then clamp it round the edge of the glass and solder the corners.

I like the lok of those shim thingies, thanks.

I never though about lanterns, they are glass with a metal edge that is hinged in places, ideal!!

This shim sheeting, is it sticky on the back or is it just plain metal sheets?

I also thought about using square tubing to make a hinge, it will be easier to solder as its flat and wont roll off.

Its just plain sheet brass. I've just found a scrap and measured it - the stuff I've used is 10 thou (10 thousanths on an inch thick) - thats about .26mm. Its not critical, but its thin enough to cut with scissors and can be bent into shape by hand - but once its formed into a u-section its rigid enough to make a frame around the glass. It's helpful if you form it over a piece of wood/metal the same thickness as the glass first - saves risking cracking the glass. Once its soldered together around the edge of the glass it can't go anywhere - so doesn't need glue/self adhesive. I've used strips about 15mm wide.

Your Idea of using tube and splitting it could work, but I'd hate to try and cut it lengthwise neatly - maybe manage it with a Dremel tool with a thin cutting disk - maybe you've got more patience than me!

As for hinges - why not roll a small piece of shim into a 'p' shape - it leaves a flat tab to solder it down.

When soldering I use all sorts of things to hold the bits together - wooden clothes pegs are good - doesn't matter if they scorch a bit. Aluminium wire is good to wrap things together while you solder... as you've found it doesn't stick to the solder.

Dee

This is all sounding good and cheap(I said on the alu tape thread, i have found a source of 100 micron tape but its a minimum of 20 rolls, total £100+)

Thanks for the advice.

how would I roll sheet metal into a P?

See what you mean about neatly cutting a tube down the side, didnt think about that.

Ive found a hobby palce that does tubing, shim sheets so I may go on a shopping spree.

thanks

For the p-shape hinge - take a piece of shim about 10mm by 20 mm. Take whatever you will use as a hinge pin (wire, nail, whatever) and lay on the shim along one 10mm edge. Grip the pin to the shim with a pair of pliers. Bend the shim around the pin - re position the pliers as you work around the pin until the p shape in formed.

Use these p shapes in pairs to form simple hinges like old fahioned gate hinges. You can solder the pin into one p or use a long pin through several hinges.

Good Luck

Dee

Is it then sturdy enough to not loose its shape?

I suppose it would be ok if pliers are needed to bend it to begin with.

You can always gain a bit of strength by running a bead of solder where the curved part of the shim touches the stem of the p so that it forms a complete tube. If thats not enough then maybe a better design would be to fold the 20x10 shim in half around the pin then nipping together the two sides of the u shape in a vice (with the pin still in place) - giving two tabs to solder together when you solder the hinge in place. What it really comes down to is that this shim brass is such an adaptable material and it solders so easily that there are a hundred ways of making hinges, catches, fitings etc. Mix in some thin copper for repousse work and all kinds of artefacts are possible - it's real 'kitchen table' craft material- no heavy or expensive tools required - just a good soldering iron and some heatproof fingers :D

Happy crafting

Dee

Thanks I will definately look into it.
Im always looking for ways to spend less.

Im looking for aluminium coloured sheets tho, will it work the same?

Should I use the same thickness sheet to surround the glass and to make the hinges?

If you use thinner sheet it won't be as strong, but any thicker and it will be more difficult to work - proper snips, hacksaw, vice, hammer etc. I've just found the stuff I've used as a good compromise.

As for 'aluminium coloured stuff' don't know about that... I've never had any success soldering aluminium and no longer bother trying. Metals which might give a similar colour are mild steel (thin steel drinks can), zinc, nickel-silver (actually a copper/nickel/zinc alloy) or even real silver. Try jewellry supply companies.

If you get good results from aluminium I'd love to know what you use.

Dee

Ok, il have a looksee for things, maybe try them out if my bank balance will allow and let you know.

I found a site that sells sheet metal and one of its shops is just down the road form me.
I feel a shopping trip approaching!!

Latest posts

Back