Ghastly computer problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh how I hate computers sometimes. Spent all day updating the website and making changes. Published it locally to a folder on the Mac and everything was hunky-dory. Ran it through a program to set Title and Meta Tags and uploaded everything and that's where it all went pear-shaped as the site disappeared. No website any more. Gone. Well, the files are there but many have zero bytes.

I spent hours going round in circles. I went back to basics. Tried FTPing using a noddy program and small test text files went OK. To a couple of different hosts as well. So that convinced me that the FTP side of things was OK.

But when I tried to upload even one of the website files using the noddy program it would keep trying but never get there. It set up the file name OK on the website but then zero'd the byte count. And that is how I lost my website. I convinced myself that somewhere along the line the tagging program had corrupted the files in some way. I even started digging out BBEdit and looking at hex dumps in my desperation. Nada. Nothing. Faffing around and around and around.

So fired up my elderly Mac and tried that. Same problem. But I knew for a fact that I'd not run the tagging program on this Mac. Tried uploading to a different webhost. Same problem. Rang up Zen.Any bandwidth constraints on monthly uploads? None, they said. Nothing we do to FTP, they said. This is now four hours down.

What's left? Router..but it can't be the router because I could FTP small text files perfectly OK. But it was. turnip thing. I replaced it and bingo. All OK.

I put the old one under the tyre of my 4x4. :twisted:

Roger, would never have guessed it was the router, you must have been close to doing something silly, I would have been.

You have destroyed a perfectly innocent and harmless router with such a callous act of barbarism.

It is very clear to me that the problems you were experiencing were down to a virus - probably Leap-A or a variant.

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself and say a prayer for the poor thing you destroyed. As a penance I suggest purchasing a PC and spend the next month using it instead of the Mac.

Cheers :D
Tony

Sorry Roger I just could not resist the urge - hat and coat already on and have left the building!

TonyW":2lb3aa64 said:
You have destroyed a perfectly innocent and harmless router with such a callous act of barbarism.

:D Actually, I felt that sticking it under the wheels of my 4x4 din't quite give me the satisfaction. I did contemplate running it through the bandsaw using the M42 blade but then thought better of it (swarf in the works etc). And so in true tried and tested form, I took out my hammer. Oh what bliss. It took 6 hefty thwacks before my lust for revenge was sated. In fact as I type this.....will be back in a couple of minutes...need to give it a few more thwacks. :twisted:

Back