Getting nails out of reclaimed oak???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creampuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello you lovely people :D

I am in need of a little help, I'v managed to get my grubby little mits on a few pieces of reclaimed oak from an old barn that was being demolished.

All pieces a roughly 8-10ft long and about 4inch x 6-8inch.
The problem I have is that in most of the pieces there are a fair few nails, most of which are bent, twisted, headless, and in some cases old and rusted to twittery.
I'v tried my best to get them out (HOLLY COW ITS HARD STUFF :shock: ), using everyway I know how, but to no avail.
So here I am to pick your brains... How the hell do you get buggered nails out of Oak

Thanks in advance

Andy

I have faced the same problem, and yes, doesn't Oak get hard. If all else fails I use a plug cutter.
One of the problems in my experience is that even if you get the nail out it frequently leaves rust behind that isn't kind to edged tools.

Roy.

For any that stick out enough, it is best to give a tap in first to loosen before pulling out with a claw hammer, if the head is still on, or if there is no head, as Jason says, with mole grips and a packer for leverage.

Dennis

Sometimes heating them up for 2/3 mins with a heavy duty soldering iron can help. I use this method with screws etc that are well fixed in antique furniture.

Thanks guys, as always very helpful advice.

I've just ordered a set of Dakota plug cutters, and a good pry bar from Rutlands.

We'll see how I get on :wink:

Again, thanks for the advice, and hopefully i'll get some pics up of whatever i atempt to make out of it :D

I'm in the midst of making the undercarriage for a table from reclaimed Oak CP and I can't recommend strongly enough that you obtain a nail detector.
Much cheaper in the long run than new planer knives etc.

Roy.

Back