Getting Jiggy with it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Folks

I had an idea the other day for a gauge to measure the inside of something so I knocked one up today here it is.
DSC_0236.jpg

Bottom
DSC_0240.jpg

And here are the parts
DSC_0239.jpg

Its a block with 4 holes in they all go right through. The wedge thats tapered on both sides clamps the long rods its operated by the tapered dowel, just push it to clamp the rods in place and release it to reset. I think it needs some hard wood for the wedges it works well.

In use
DSC_0245.jpg

Pete

nice one ! :)

I think i would have the rods bevelled at the end to go into corners but still have a flat edge to mark out against,

oh and i cant see what the hole is for in the centre ? I am probably being dim :oops:

Excellent work Pete. However, the thread is clearly a thinly veiled excuse to show off your woodworking library :lol:

Does this count as a "driveby gloat" if there's no actual tools involved?

Hi,

MarkW The hole in the center is for the wedge that locks the rods, it goes right through so you can remove it.

mikepooley Yes, sorry about the driveby, but it is tempered by my inability to read :wink:

Pete,

Your going to be in trouble when SWMBO finds that you have stolen a pair of her knitting needles and also cut the ends off. :shock:

Nice drive by and the idea is useful as well. 8)

Very nice Pete

But....I don't have even one of your books.... :oops: :)

Oh yes, another nice jig that will get lost in the "woods" of the "General Woodworking" and only God knows how to "Search" for it... :evil:

niki

Niki":fxio91nd said:
Oh yes, another nice jig that will get lost in the "woods" of the "General Woodworking" and only God knows how to "Search" for it... :evil:

niki

Not so sure that even he knows where to find what (jig) he's after. :?

frugal":1hj2407h said:
Why is it that everyone else's 'just knocked together' are better than the things I intend to make ;)

How is it that people think of so many great ideas when all I can do is stand there scratching my head and thinking....'there must be an easier way than this!!!'

Hi,

One per birthday! I wish, I won't see 49 again.

Pete

Hi,

Update

I replaced the chock (the small bit) with one made from rosewood and it locks the rods much better than the original soft one, the clamping wedge could also do with replacing with a harder one. If you make one can I suggest some hardwood for all the parts.

Pete

Surely I am being thick, but once you have used it inside your space, how do you transfer that measurement some place else?

I thought the smart answer for the 'other' hole would have been , to hold the pencil , No !

Hi,

A couple of blocks of wood, a pair of squares, the wall and your hand, two jellies, all with varying degrees of accuracy :wink:

Its very good at checking is openings are square.

Pete

2 Things pete! first what's wrong with a tape?
2nd did you choose that block of your bookshelf purposly or was it a random decision? he he!
But in all honesty its not a bad idea!

Latest posts

Back