Getting into spraying. Why did I wait so long!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I took delivery of a used Earlex HV5000 last year and put it in the loft. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I need to put it to use so I took the plunge and ordered some Morrells paint and clear lacquer for a piece of furniture in the house that I decided to refurbish.

All I can say is "wow, it makes finishing a real joy". I have just sprayed 8 drawers with clear lacquer in less than 15 mins. How long would that have taken with a brush ?

If you are not already spraying and have been contemplating taking the plunge, then all I can say is do it. You will wonder why you did not do it sooner!

I was concerned that it was going to be hard, but I was pleasently surprised at how straight forward it is!

Already looking forward to going down to the garage to put on another coat :)

Couldn't agree more. Before I managed to permanently damage my back I did kitchens and spraying was the only answer. Couldn't have got a brush finish like the one below plus it would have taken for ever - this is just a small part of the job.

As you say, it was much easier than I was expecting. Now I have a good compressor for cleaning up tools!

Attachments

• 100_0154.jpg
    100_0154.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 188
How I envy you !! :oops:

I'm not getting on with spraying at all, so much so that I've resorted to putting the finish coat (acrylic eggshell) on with a roller.

In fact not getting on so much, that shortly will have a Fuji HVLP Q4 Pro for sale I reckon.

Oh well....

Chris.

miles_hot":3050rbiw said:
what sort of booth etc set up did you go for?

Booth, what's a booth?? I had a long line of trestles down the length of my barn and sprayed from one end to the oyjer. Dead professional!

Results weren't too bad though!! :D

PS I did finish off the worktop!

Attachments

• 100_0107.jpg
    100_0107.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0111.jpg
    100_0111.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0159.jpg
    100_0159.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 127
Not having anywhere designed for the purpose I've given up on spraying at the moment: the mess is just too much to be clearing up afterwards. Did think about buying one of those collapsible gazebo thingies but that would limit spraying to only the warmer months.

miles_hot":2817ax8x said:
what sort of booth etc set up did you go for?
If only. I have sectioned off a piece of the garage and spray in there. I have to spray with the door shut because of the breeze, but the respirator I use works well and I cannot smell anything.

I am going to get a proper spray booth setup for the next project though

studders":2ud7bz4z said:
Not having anywhere designed for the purpose I've given up on spraying at the moment: the mess is just too much to be clearing up afterwards. Did think about buying one of those collapsible gazebo thingies but that would limit spraying to only the warmer months.

Ah but all the overspray helped cover up the red caused by our early forays into translating chickens from life form to table decoration!!

and there was me thinking of starting a spraying thread this morning. :)

i have a 100L air compresser and a good quality spray gun (a non gravity type though) although it has no brand name on it. i inherited it with my work van.

my question is where can i find any info on spray finishing. i have only ever used the gun to spray some dulux super grip onto some old oak chairs, however i would like to use it for finishing items, can lacquers only be used or could i thin down varnish also could oil finishes be sprayed??

sorry for thread hijack and the simple questions but i really have no idea when it comes to this sort of thing. :oops:

sparkymarky":1nrtspte said:
my question is where can i find any info on spray finishing. i have only ever used the gun to spray some dulux super grip onto some old oak chairs, however i would like to use it for finishing items, can lacquers only be used or could i thin down varnish also could oil finishes be sprayed??

I knew nothing and learnt all I needed from this great book. Really useful and covers all aspects.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spray-Finishing ... 927&sr=8-1

hth

sparkymarky":2x44cimc said:
and there was me thinking of starting a spraying thread this morning. :)

i have a 100L air compresser and a good quality spray gun (a non gravity type though) although it has no brand name on it. i inherited it with my work van.

sorry for thread hijack and the simple questions but i really have no idea when it comes to this sort of thing. :oops:

I have sprayed catalyst lacquer, emulsion, cellulose and eggshell so far with no problems. Just make sure you spend a couple of hours cleaning the gun and reservoir thoroughly :( . Or have different ones for each finish.

sparkymarky":1dqno3b3 said:
gus3049":1dqno3b3 said:
sparkymarky":1dqno3b3 said:
I have sprayed catalyst lacquer, emulsion, cellulose and eggshell

ooh thats interesting :) i didn't even realise that you could spray eggshell, how would i go about that? would it need to be thinned down with water?

Ah well,

That depends which one you have. I'm not sure if its an EU directive but certainly Farrow and Ball have changed to water based. I found that out the first time I tried to thin it with turps!! Check the tin, in the good old days it was oil based. I thin 50/50 - some might find that a little thin but I like building up a good coat without having to cut it back too much.

In spite of what they insist, I still reckon the water based is rubbish compared with the old stuff. I expect its an age thang!

I have to agree with you Gordon, the water based is rubbish compared to a solvent base. At the company I used to work for, spraying cars, we changed over to water based and had nothing but problems with it. Even after all that they still use a solvent based clear laquer over the colour base coats as the water based laquer just didn't work! I am old school too. :roll:

Back