GENERAL OPINION OF bOSCH TOOLS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been browsing previous posts regarding Bosch power tools and have read some very mixed opinions on their quality. The thing that prompted this posting is my Bosch lawnmower which died yesterday. I bought it about 3 years ago, it's a 36volt Lithium type and cost me over £300. It's had very light use and I was expecting a tool of that price to give a fair few years of service. Not so. It looks like the motor has packed in. Reading other reviews of Bosch mowers (Amazon etc) it seems quite a few people have had similar issues, and apparently replacement motors are £350 - more than a new mower.

So £300+ for a tool that lasted about 3 years - that's about 6 months longer than my Bosch fridge freezer lasted. Again lots of really bad reviews for that Bosch model. I'm really disappointed because I thought Bosch was a decent make, but it seems I was sadly mistaken. Reading other peoples' reviews it seems that Bosch customer service is worse than their tools - almost legendary in it's indifference to customer complaints.

I shall not be putting Bosch on my shopping lists in future. I don't buy NuTool or Power Devil tools any more because I've learnt my lesson there, but I think I'd rather buy them than Bosch - If I want short-lived, throw-away tools or appliances I can get them for a lot less money.

What do others think?

K

I have several Bosch power tools. Jigsaw, couple of drills, couple of routers and a multi-purpose tool. Most are blue/pro, all are quite old and none have ever given a problem.

i quite like bosch, and have a few blue bots. I have bought most secondhand, but they are going strong.

whenever i buy new powertools, I always look at bosch. And each time, I always seem to find something slightly better for similar or less money- eg palm router makita seems better, ROS, Metabo seemed better. I do like the look of the Multibase Bosch router though.

In Germany, the green DIY ranges are regarded with contempt. The blue stuff gets the nod.
I'm a DeWalt man for tools myself, but my fridge- freezer, washing machine and dishwasher are all long- standing Bosch and have never been a problem.
My Dad had a Bosch lawn mower which burnt out spectacularly one summer's eve, winding up as a pool of molten plastic with an electric motor sitting on top. I have the same mower and always 'quarantine' it away from the shed for a period of time before putting it away.

I would look into the sale of goods act and see if you are covered. Any electrical item is expected to last a decent amount of time. Under the sale of goods that can be up to 6yrs. So i would look into it and see if bosch will have to repair or replace under those guide lines. :)

I have several Bosch tools - green (corded drills) and blue (glide saw) - and never had problems (over 20+ years), so would buy again, though I'm not blindly loyal; having Makita cordless drill, Trend router, Metabo ROS etc.

However, I had a bad expedrience with a Bosch washing machine (motor failed, and the replacement - under warranty fortunately).

So, overall, a mixed review from me.

I've had plenty of Bosch stuff over the years. Dad has a green pks66 circular saw that's about 20 years old. I've had green and blue tools, all have been good workhorses. I've a Bosch washing machine and fridge/freezer, both over ten years old and never given a day's trouble.

Don't rate them personally. I bought a Gas 25 vacuum, blue and expensive, needed new brushes after about two months, not covered under warranty. Control panel burnt out after two and half years, uneconomical repair. Got a brand new replacement under 3 year warranty (always make sure you register for that), after three years, same symptoms as predecessor, out of warranty, I took it apart, cleaned the switch and gave it a squirt of WD40, has been OK since. Still, not acceptable on an expensive machine that is supposed to be built for endurance.

I've a Bosch professional SDS Hammer Drill, which is brilliant and a Bosch Professional Planer, which is really poor. It has to be used with extraction or it clogs in seconds. I think they are a mid range professional tool company and a bit over-rated, though it depends on which tools you get.

RogerP":3uqj0f9c said:
I have several Bosch power tools. Jigsaw, couple of drills, couple of routers and a multi-purpose tool. Most are blue/pro, all are quite old and none have ever given a problem.

+1. That could be an inventory of my own Bosch equipment.

FWIW, I think white goods and lawnmowers are the same whoever makes them. Produced for a much bigger market than woodwork tools and thus designed to expire early, rather like IKEA Furniture! :(

Benchwayze":11covych said:
RogerP":11covych said:

+1. That could be an inventory of my own Bosch equipment.

FWIW, I think white goods and lawnmowers are the same whoever makes them. Produced for a much bigger market than woodwork tools and thus designed to expire early, rather like IKEA Furniture! :(

BTW John, that Bosch belt sander you gave me is now working a treat :mrgreen: A little slow running compared to some but after a full strip down and clean out, and some Loctite on the tension plate screws, it's a good 'un 8)

Back ont' subject. Personally I think the Bosch SDS+ drill are among the best you can buy.

I have Bosch domestic products (dishwasher etc) and green Bosch DIY and woodworking tools (jigsaw, circular saw, drill/drivers etc). All have served me well and I have just bought a new drill driver, also Bosch.

MMUK":5lwltxt8 said:
Benchwayze":5lwltxt8 said:
RogerP":5lwltxt8 said:
I

BTW John, that Bosch belt sander you gave me is now working a treat :mrgreen: A little slow running compared to some but after a full strip down and clean out, and some Loctite on the tension plate screws, it's a good 'un 8)

Back ont' subject. Personally I think the Bosch SDS+ drill are among the best you can buy.

In that case Steve, I reckon I ought to have got you to service it instead! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're welcome of course!

John

Green = DIY part timer - cheap and cheerful (I have circular saw and drill/driver and they are fine after 10 years however well below the quality i would want to have now and they are not used)
Blue = ok, however usually something better for same price
Dishwasherf/fridges etc, they have 3 ranges. cheap = china and the same as any other cheap range, expensive are good quality, and the middle "value" range is reliable but not going to last for life.

I would buy the white goods again, but not the cheap range.

all my humble opinion of course.

Since the 1980s I've had a Bosch (Green) router; the small upright model, you can fit into a 43mm collar drill stand. I kept it serviced and it works fine still. I also still use the rolled-plate cutters that came with it! :mrgreen:

I have a Bosch blue SDS multi drill which is the dogs danglies but have been left generally underwhelmed with their other power tools. They are not bad but IMHO you can almost always get a better tool for a similar price from Makita. Over the last several years I have gone through a fair few tools and the Maks are the ones that never seem to fail or let me down.

carlb40":2n2ggb8f said:
I would look into the sale of goods act and see if you are covered. Any electrical item is expected to last a decent amount of time. Under the sale of goods that can be up to 6yrs. So i would look into it and see if bosch will have to repair or replace under those guide lines. :)

I agree strongly with this - so many sellers try to duck out when warranty expires, but as Carl says, sale of goods means protection for longer than most warranty periods. But be ready for the long haul - you could well have a fight on your hands and remember Privity of Contract says that you contracted with the retailer, not the manufacturer - it is to them that you legally have to complain.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Greg

Benchwayze":1iw2aklx said:
Since the 1980s I've had a Bosch (Green) router; the small upright model, you can fit into a 43mm collar drill stand. I kept it serviced and it works fine still. I also still use the rolled-plate cutters that came with it! :mrgreen:

Very useful, the drill stand - mine bolts through the dog holes close to the vice and swivels out over it. I bought a baby Bosch to replace one I lent - they are great little tools for small jobs like inlaying.

If you look at the old green Bosch tools, and at the plate, you will find some are made in Switzerland by Scintilla. These are, IME, excellent quality medium duty power-tools. I also have the new 10.8v impact and drill set, which is absolutely stunning. I think the Bosch Blue stuff is the marque to beat for the money now. The new plunge saw looks remarkably like the Festool! And AFAIK the batteries are also top drawer!

My 2p.

Caz

Latest posts

Back