GCHQ puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":mu6lo7k1 said:
Well I reckon we have find out in what way each one is the odd one out.

As Jimmy points out, Starlet doesn't have a double letter. So that IS an odd one out. Similarly Torrent does not begin with an S, so that IS an odd one out. We have to find one that is NOT the odd one out.

The name is Maskery. Steve Maskery.

Dum, du-du-dum-dum, dum-dum-dum,
Dum, du-du-dum-dum, dum-dum-dum,
Dum-dum, du, du, dum

Its patterns! What confused me for ages was the odd one out thing, it's the word that's most similar to all the others.
1 No double letter (starlet)
2 Ends in T (saffron)
3 Starts with S (torrent)
4 E third last letter (shallot)
5..... bit shaky but... o is the only second letter to be common to more than one word. Soooo... (suggest)
Which leaves Sonnett.
Possibly. lol.

Number 2 is doing my nut in. I'm sure it's snooker. It's the potting order but it's off and I can't see it. Grrr!

Steve Maskery":14r54p6k said:
I got stuck on the FIRST one. It asks which one is NOT the odd one out. That doesn't make sense to me.
Steve,
It doesn't actually ask which ONE is not the odd one out!
But "Which of these is not the odd one out?"
Perhaps find the odd one out, the answer is the rest.

xy

Steve Maskery":3bw4xdd2 said:
Yes, fair enough, but if that is the case, how can I coe up with on single answer to the MC question?

Oh! nay lad, it's getting late for my brain, but perhaps a filtering job?

xy

I'm pretty sure there is a single answer to that first one.

All but one of the answers is an odd one out in one way. One of the answers is not the odd one out for any of those ways.

That said you can move on to the next question by selecting any answer...

I could be barking up the wrong tree. Or just barking, but...
Starlet is the odd one out because it doesn't have a repeated letter.
Torrent is the odd one out because it doesn't begin with S.
Suggest is the odd one out because the others are nouns.
Sonnet is the odd one out because it doesn't have seven letters.
Saffron is the odd one out because it doesn't end in T.

That leaves Shallot.

However, there may be other interpretations, but I think that's the general idea.

Where do I collect my licence to kill and my Aston Martin?

I have to mention here that I wrote that post before I had seen the second page of this thread, which would have made it a bit easier. It looks like some others had already started down the same route.

OK, I'll go to bed shortly. I think the third one is to to with the international phonetic alphabet. Romeo Beckham, Oscar Wilde, Charlie Bucket, Radar Love, Victor Mature, so odd one out must be Shaka.

Really going to bed now.

The next one revolves(or rotates!) around the idea that you are looking at the flag semaphore from behind, so the first symbols resolve to HAPPY, which kind of gives the game away.

ZZZzzzzzzz

6 is Gene Autrey related.

The next section gets harder(in my opinion) there's one that is, I am pretty certain, based on converting to morse and swapping dots and dashes, but although this works fine for agony and denial, and witty and tepid, I can't make smart into anything sensible.

OK, I've worked it out now. It's OFTEN

I have no clue on part 3 A, B or D.

I withdraw the phonetic alphabet answer - Radar Love is not, of course correct. My tired brain was thinking of Xray...
Maybe there's another person that goes with Love, since the others all seem to be people. I've no idea who or what Shaka is...

I wonder if you can job share at GCHQ - if so there could be a opening for the ukworkshop consortium :)

Brian

Shaka Zulu, famous Zulu warrior king who won some famous battles, using the buffalo horns as his model he encircled his enemies and (very) basically, if memory serves, united Zululand under one king. Possibly for the first time. Memory's a bit vague these days. All that cider. My old fella gave me a book on him years ago. Fascinating man.
Only NATO alphabet name for Love I can find now is Victor. And I resorted to google on that one. Never heard of him personally.

Re the snooker one: Seeing it as Pi was a bit clever. I had the ball scores worked out but the dash eluded me. (9) Obviously you can't score a nine in snooker. Route I went down was to subtract the last 2 digits 31415-26 which left me 31389 which left me at a loss. I tried various routes on the internet until I got pineappled off and went to bed.

Im not too bad with language and lateral , but when it comes to numbers I come to a screeching halt so it looks like the game is up for me.
Good luck guys. I'll watch with interest

Well I know that Shaka is the odd one out(even if my logic was slightly flawed), as it wouldn't have let me through to the fiendishly difficult next stage otherwise.

Latest posts

Back