Gas tool problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a soldering gun -the type you connect to a propane gas bottle.

I have fitted a regulator to my 10kg bottle and coupled up the gas gun.

However my flame is pathetic whether even if the gun valve is fully open.

Maybe a standard gas regulator is not suitable - if so what regulator should I get? I suspect the pathetic heat is due to the lack of gas flow.

What type of regulator are you using, you really want an adjustable one that will go upto about 2-3bar. The flat type regulators will only give about 30Mbar, (thats Milli not Mega) these are they type you get on caravans, barbeques etc

Jason

Hi JasonB - again,

you are truly quite knowledgeable in these things. I must say!

I did get one of those flat type and it is no good. What option do you suggest?

As you no doubt I am a bit wary of gas so I am cautious.

BTW my power shower is magic!! Thx for the advise. :D

OK so I have been looking around. It seems this becomes industrial before I know it. Is that right?

and expensive!

or have I got this wrong?

I better state I wanted to connect to a BP gas bottle. ex BBQ type.

Maybe this will not work?

Whats the connection on the BP Gas bottle? Bayonet or screw (LH or RH thread) and is it propane or butane

What size is the burner (end the flame comes out as this will determine gas consumption)

If its a L/H thread same as Calor then the High Pressure ones here will be fine but the price goes up as the bar goes up, thats why I ask what size burner.

Jason

No exactly so, the BP "Light" cylinders of propane have clip on connectors but the BP Steel Propane cylinders have the LH thread. Thats why I asked what type of connection.

Jason

Jason, It is a clip on type - BP gas cyl 10 Kg

Cant say what size burner, the torch packaging shows it connecting to similar gas cyl.

It does not have a screw in connector

Apologies in taking time to respond but working v long hours on a tough programme. Well.............someone has to do the work :lol:

I've not seen a clip on HP regulator but they may well exist. It is possible to buy a clip on adaptor that will then take the standard LH screwing propane regulators.

Jason

Back