Garden seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished the 3rd. (of 3) garden seats for my children. Made from scrap mahogany like timber and B&Q hardwood decking for the slats. The galv. bolts have since been withdrawn and recessed.

IMGP0842.jpg

Thats a nice looking bench!

I have two cast iron bench ends that were left in the garden by the previous occupiers of our house I was planning to add slats to to make a bench. Can I ask what the dimensions of you slats are, and whether you put a mid support under the seat as you did on the back? I presume you did! With the curved cast iron ends I have I think I am going to have to put a metal strap to support the seat slats but it would be handy to know the dimensions of yours and how solid they are.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve. Thanks for looking. Regarding your cast iron bench ends, I have much the same and replaced the slats some years ago. My 'iron' bench is 1206mm long and the slats are 50mm wide. I've attached a rather poor photo of the anti-racking straps on the underside, just a length of 20mm flat bar. I've got one each end but you could have a one piece strap which must be secured in the middle. The B&Q hardwood decking boards would make excellent slats by ripping the 8' boards which will give you 4 slats per board. I paid about £12 a board when I bought them 6 months ago.
Benchstraps.jpg

Also photo of rear of new timber bench showing the B&Q slats.
Benchrear.jpg

Cheers,
Jim

Excellent, many thanks indeed. Must admit I hadn't even considered hardwood decking as a starting material! Will have a look see at B&Q next time I am there.

Steve.

Keep your eye out when visiting garden centers as they often have the hard wood decking on offer. You can also often find bits in the local paper.

Back