garden gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feswood

Established Member
Reaction score
afternoon fellow woodworkers i need some help please :oops: ok i need to build a garden gate for the back of my property which backs on to alleyway i'm in the process of relandscaping the rear garden now what i had in mind was a gate to be 2 metres high and 1075 wide is this to wide for a single gate? this is where a horrible concrete shed was i would love to build it in oak but i think the cost is going to be to high so i think maybe redwood and i will paint it the top rail through mortice and mid and bottom rails to be bare face tenons then cladding braces aswell how to brace it wot kind of joint?please if any one has a pdf or sketch up drawing that would be grate thanks for listening and i look forward to the replies james

thank you boss , i've proberly not explained this well enough :oops: i was thinking more along the lines of 2 stiles 1 top rail along the lines of 44mm by 94mm 2000mm high mid rail and bottom rail 25mm by 150mm with bare face tenons then 19mm cladding so the cladding is flush with the stiles but how do i do the brace in to the stiles and rails maybe a couple of doms? i guess wot concerns me is the width, coming from a background of fitting pvc windows and surveying sorry :oops: :roll: you are not allowed to make doors over a certain width the 1075mm is the opening between posts hope that makes sense, i think maile made 1 a while back :mrgreen:

regards james

Ah you meen like this
L & B door.jpg
sorry mate I did'nt pick up on that.
You can almost make any width/hieght of door work, what you have to consider is the dims of the materials you use, I had two redwood doors almost 1.5m wide each, which were made from 2 3/8" framing and 3/4" t & g infill boards. I replaced these with one door/gate that I made almost 3m wide, so as I say you can make any width workable.
The door in the pic above (sometimes known as a 'Z' door, for obvious reasons) has the stile and rails you mention, these allow for conventional hinges as apposed to strap hinges used in ledge and brace doors. It all depends on what your intended use is or your design prefference in doors. Obviously the stile design will weigh a lot more than the ledge and brace, due to the amount more timber incorperated, but this simply requires 1 1/2no. heavier hinges, and heavier door frames.
Not sure why you want to incorperate thinner ledges, personaly I would opt for 35mm all round framing, full mortice & tenon joints, and perhaps use 25mm braces pocketed into both stiles and ledges!...bosshogg :)

Attachments

• L & B door.jpg
    L & B door.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 47
Back