Garden Gate.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Could I ask please whether I could make a garden side gate with 18mm floorboards with 3 or 4 inch bracing to the back?

Main reason for asking is the possible movement and twisting issues however I would intend giving it several coats of whatever needed to protect it.

Any advice or the pitfalls would be a appreciated.

Thanks

Don't see any reason why you shouldn't, It pays to have the ledges and braces thicker than the boarding, The stock sold for door linings, at 25mm ish will give you this extra thickness. You will probably be OK with whitewood, if that's all you can get, though I much prefer redwood, As long as you treat it with a preservative before painting.it should work out fine
I'm unsure of the design of gate you are intending to make, but if it uses T&G, I much prefer to use rebated overlaps instead for outside work It helps the joins to not swell too much. Also, if you give the edges of your ledges and braces a sloping profile, this helps shed water

Old floorboards could be quite dry if they have been indoors for multiple years, I'd give the wood sometime outside to acclimatise before using, and/or leave some decent expansion gaps between boards when making the gate.

I intend to purchase some new floorboards, would that make any difference to the stability?

Last edited:
Sorry guys just noticed I’ve posted this under the wrong category but unsure how to move it, my apologies.

Latest posts

Back