garden fence / gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike j

Reaction score
Hi i am not sure if this is the right place to post my question so i aplolgise if this is the wrong place.

I am putting up a small section of fence and a gate in my garden.

My garden has two levels, a patio on the top level so to speak with a retaining wall holding the patio up and concrete steps in the middle of the retaining wall leading down to a lawn on the bottom level.

I want to put a small section of fence on the patio either side of the steps and a gate across the steps. I plan to fix the fence posts and gate post to the retainig wall, with the posts runiing up the wall (the wall is about 3 foot high) and then protruding above the wall about 4 feet which is the height the fence is going to be.

My question is what size fence posts and gate post (gate is about 2 feet by 4 feet) should i use, i was thinking 3x3 or 3x2.
Also what size and type of fixings should i use to fix the posts to the wall (the wall is a block wall).

thanks in advance
:D

7 foot posts - blimey!

You could always use those metal post brackets that bolt to the top surface of the wall - would mean using posts a damn sight smaller.

3 x3 seems a fairly common size for fencing posts at most of the fencing suppliers I've seen. Ultimately would depend on a lot of things such as what is readily available (treated) - the fence you have in mind and the style\size\weight of gate you have in mind, or if it is to act as a safety rail for the patio.

Always easier oversizing the posts if anything.

Fixings - shield anchors, thru bolts, etc. Screwfix or the big sheds should carry them. Depends on your budget. Me - I tend to use fixings where 1.5 times the item thickness is the penetration of the fixing into the substrate.

However, I'm sure someone will be able to give you a more scientific pointer on fixing length.

Dibs

I always go oversize in fence posts. The smallest I'd make your posts would be 100mm square. Then they certainly won't bend and they certainly won't look flimsy. They might look too hunky, but they still won't bend!

I'd use shield anchors to fix the posts. Like http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=17637
but replace the studding with longer pieces that you cut to length yourself from http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18477

If you have a gate opening at the top of a flight of steps, it should open towards the flat landing, not towards the flight, which would be inconvenient and potentially dangerous.

Also, I'd make sure your wall is nice and solid.
The last thing you want is for someone to lean on the post and it start pulling blocks out of your wall. You're attaching a 4ft leaver to a couple of blocks in the stack :)

J

Back