Garage tool storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some type of storage for my power and hand tools in my dad's garage (I store my tools there). I was going to get a steel site box but the ones I have seen are either a bit small or really expensive. Because my dad and I are both joiners, we have amassed quite a large amount of tools so I'd either have to make 1 large box or 2 smaller boxes.

I'd prefer to make 2 boxes out of 3/4" ply that are strong and have some sort of padlocking type security to make it difficult for someone to get into, even with a crow bar. I want to make them heavy (even when empty) to stop anyone just nicking the whole box :oops: but I'll probably rawlbolt them to the floor aswell.

Doesn't have to nice looking, just be effective at keeping the tools safe.

Any help, ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

scooby":2orkldt6 said:
I'd prefer to make 2 boxes out of 3/4" ply that are strong and have some sort of padlocking type security to make it difficult for someone to get into, even with a crow bar. I want to make them heavy (even when empty) to stop anyone just nicking the whole box :oops: but I'll probably rawlbolt them to the floor aswell.

I think that to get this level of security you will need steel plates on the ply. Anyone who is determined will break open a wood only box. :(

I agree with Dave. Having had my tools pinched once from a secure lockup on site I always err on the side of caution.
Build your box frame with something like 3x2 and sheathe it with 18mm ply glued on. Then you can buy sheets of galvanised steel in various sizes and thicknesses sheathe the box with the thickest you can work with - bolting that on. For the corners and edges some small angle and tackweld it on. It makes a security box a helluva stronger than some you can buy. Dont be fooled into thinking the ply only box will do, all the b******s need is a battery jigsaw and hey presto nothing left.

Drew

Back