Garage build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm finally back on line after relocating to Scarborough :D . I'm thinking of getting a garage built instead of building a workshop myself. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much a builder would charge to build a 16x9 garage. I feel that it would add value to the house rather than a wooden shed, and obviously I'll use it as a workshop.

TIA

Phil

:shock: I am in the wrong line of work! A single skin of brick with a couple of support pillars and corrugated roof costs 25-30k? For that I would want windows, insulation, windproof doors, electrics and a beer fountain with barmaid service :twisted: Very much doubt a garage will add 30k to the price of the house unless you are in the centre of London

Steve.

It may be less in the current climate and outside London. We were quoted 17k, 19k and 22k for a smaller building 2yrs ago. The 22k would have been the only guy I'd have trusted but the figure was too much even tho at the time I could have afforded it. I went on to build it myself out of wood and enjoyed the process. The whole build probably came in under 6k but we didn't have to do any ground work.

Wow - that's a big quote. A friend of mine is having a double garage built - 5.5m x 6m. He had the site scraped level'ish and that cost him 1k, including the spoils being taken away.

He's engaged a builder to construct the garage - IIRC he's paying around 10k in total, plus the cost of whatever door he wants (I think he's looking at a roller shutter). So a 16x9 should be less.

I don't really like them - but how about a pre-fab one - 16x9 sounds like a standard single garage, should be easily available as a pre-fab.

cambournepete":2g5150k2 said:
I think if it's near the house it will cost rather more as the foundations would have to be able to support 2 storeys in case you want to extend your house over.

this is exactly what our planning permission drawings included and the work was quoted up that.

As I say, times have changed and builders might be a bit more reasonable

Also, are we talking about a garage or a workshop ? A workshop needs to be more than just a single skin brick wall with corrugated roof. It'll cost more to add insulation and electrics later.

Two weeks work,
Materials £3K

Second hand windows and doors.

Some DIY like guttering, hanging doors and self painting.

£7K

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would like an inside skin of block, as well as kingspan type insulation, so that would push the price up. The garage will sit to the side and behind the bungalow, it's been extended so I don't think the foundations will be affected. I don't like prefab types either Dibs-H, I'm hoping to match the bricks to the bungalow.

Phil

Phil, I'm going to be no help with pricing out your garage but I have questions. Does a garage have to be built of block/brick? Could it be stick built? Insulation could go between studs and I would think it would be less damp.

Can it be made any larger? 9' wide seems like barely wide enough to drive a car in and then open the door to get out of the car. If you could make it slightly wider, it might have even more appeal to a future owner. I'm not sure I could get my car into a 16' long garage either.

If you are going to have a concrete floor, could you insulate underneath it to provide a thermal break from the ground? The heat the slab with in-floor heat. The slad will stay dry, you won't use as much energy to heat the space as with a forced air type of heat and your feet will stay warm in the winter making you much happier.

Dave R":1xsy0gf1 said:
Can it be made any larger? 9' wide seems like barely wide enough to drive a car in and then open the door to get out of the car. If you could make it slightly wider, it might have even more appeal to a future owner. I'm not sure I could get my car into a 16' long garage either.

i think you 'murricans have bigger cars - my car (ford Ka) is about 10ft long and 5.5ft wide.

that said i dont put my car in the garage anyway - if cars werent meant to live outside they wouldnt be waterproof - and the garage is too valuable as a workshop space to waste by storing a car in it

Ah yes, the Ka. Isn't that the car that kills pigeons? :D

My little Saturn isn't a huge car but I think it would still be a tight squeeze in a gargae that small. Especially with a lawn mower, bicycles and the other stuff one ends up keep in a garage when they haven't converted it to a shop like it should be.

Dave R":2nnc6kev said:
Especially with a lawn mower, bicycles and the other stuff one ends up keep in a garage when they haven't converted it to a shop like it should be.

tell me about it , ive got the garden tools and swimbos bike in my 'shop - tho the latter goes outside when i'm working.

I take your point Dave but the dimensions are based on my old garage and the garage I viewed when looking for a house. As I've said I'm not going to put a car in it, I'm just thinking of the resale value of the house. I have thought about building it from wood but I thought I'd try the builder route first.The concrete will have foam tiles on top and they are quite warm.

Phil

Phil, will a builder for hire build a stick built structure or only in block? I would think the labor would be less expensive with a stick built building.

I realize you won't be parking a car in it but wouldn't a 12 x 20 garage be more appealing to a possible future owner than 9 x 16? I wouldn't think it would cost that much more to add a few feet in each direction and it would look nicer than if you have to add on later.

Back