Galvanised Steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of some galvanised washers - only they aren't, they are BZP. The term 'Galvanised' seems now to mean whatever an advertiser wishes it to mean.
Is there no trades description that differentiates between the two?.
After all' hot dipped galvanised items' will have a greater corrosion resistance based on the thickness of their coating, compared to BZP.

I don't think you've been able to translate " galvanised" as hot dipped for many decades.
If you want it, you have to explicitly look for it. Not common and ££.
If you are buying unistrut for example, then "pre galv" is BZP and "post galv" is hot dipped. Big difference in price.
Most plated stuff in general retail is utter rubbish. Like the metal latches on stanley organisers - the plating is failing after just one winter in a damp garage.

I'm aware of three types of zinc application to steel.
BZP - electro plated, now usually resulting in a cheap and thin coat of zinc.
Hot dip galvanising - the metal goes into molten zinc forming what is usually a far thicker and wear resistant surface. My late father used to work for the CEGB and would specify a 40 year guarantee was required when ordering from suppliers.
Sheradizing - hot metal into zinc powder. This was how I used to buy my panel pins as they would never rust on outside glazed and painted work.

Colin

I don't think you've been able to translate " galvanised" as hot dipped for many decades.
If you want it, you have to explicitly look for it. Not common and ££.
If you are buying unistrut for example, then "pre galv" is BZP and "post galv" is hot dipped. Big difference in price.
Most plated stuff in general retail is utter rubbish. Like the metal latches on stanley organisers - the plating is failing after just one winter in a damp garage.
I have a tubular steel chicken run, sold as galvanised, that is in fact electoplated, and some areas of it have already rusted through. There is simply no comparison to the metal field gates I have just been looking at at the local farm co-op - which will last for years.

Hi,
BZP(Bright Zinc Plated) is common on most bolts and washers but you can get galvanised but probably more expensive. Problem with galvanising is light articles such as thin plate or things like chicken wire will be distorted with hot dipped due to the hot zinc. Hot dipped is great for structural steel and price is based on the weight of steel. If you are planning on getting hot dipped steel be aware that any sections that are sealed such as box sections with capped ends will need a weep hole(normally 6mm to allow for expansion) and if you don’t put them in the galvanisers will charge you about £20 a hole to drill them for you.
Regards,
Dave

Back