G3 Chuck inserts help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samej1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to buy a G3 chuck and i know i will need an adaptor to fit my lathe, an Elu DB 180.

I am also fairly confident of the adaptor i need from other discussions on here. What i am unsure of is how i get a chuck that i know will fit the adaptor?

On the Record tools website that i was intending to but it from the G3 chuck comes with two possible threads and the warning that 'if your lathe wont take this size then this chcuk wont fit' which is really unhelpful.

i can only buy a 1"x8 or a 3/4"x16 thread cut directly into the back of the chuck, and cant change it.

My question is which one will the adaptor fit, if either?

Also is the record website the only place i can purchase this chuck? All help much appreciated. Cheers all

hi there, I've just checked the insert for the nova chuck and the thread is listed as IKNSINSERT KM18x2.5 RH (Metric)Elu DB 180, it might be that your not able to get your chosen chuck, have you looked at the supanova type that can take a range of inserts/excerts?
chris

precisely what I was going to say...look at the supernova 2...it has a removable insert at the back which you can purchase seperately to make it compatible with pretty much any lathe. I use it myself. Its also larger than the G3 and generally superior (more costly of course though not a huge difference).

It is a great chuck and I use it constantly.

Thanks for the fast response, from what you say i think i need the supernova2 so that the insert will fit.

Do you recommend anywhere particularly to get it from? Thanks

Just search supanova chuck or patriot chuck, most places supply it, shop around for deals, they pop up on eBay now and again and the tecknatool version just went in the for sale section here.
Chris.

I think Record Power are the primary source for distribution in the UK. They also do promotional deals every now and then....but ebay is well worth a try as they're bullet proof so 2nd hand is a good option. They take a plethora of different sized jaws too

Unless you are desperate for a Nova chuck, just key in wood turning chucks into eBay, have a look at the Fox chucks, I got mine 4 years ago and it's still doing the job I bought it for, jaws are interchangeable with a selection of other makes.

Regard's

Kevin

If you buy a second hand Mk I Supernova make sure it has the chuck key with it as they are out of production and near impossible to find.

Back