Fuji Q4 HVLP - Gravity or siphon cup gun?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbly

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a fuji Q4 hvlp spray set-up. I mainly intend to spray kitchen cabinets and frames (birch ply and tulip wood) with water based primer followed by water based acrylic eggshell (mainly farrow and ball or fired earth colours). I've read a lot and watched all the videos and this seems like a good bit of kit. What I can't work out is whether I'd be better off with the gravity or siphon gun. The only drawback i can see with the gravity cup is the smaller capacity - other than that it looks pretty compact for working inside cabinets.
Any suggestions or preferences greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

Hi, i have just bought the fuji q4 with a gravity gun - which gun did you go for and has the gun been a good purchase? I bought the smaller gravity gun so i could spray inside small cabinets etc and hoping it will work as expected!

Thanks

While i don't have this system. A few years ago now i did a bit of spraying with a normal compressor. I had both styles of guns and prefered the gravity gun for a few reasons.
1 it was better balanced for me.
2 Being a smaller cup it was lighter and easier to use/hold for longer periods of time.
3 As the cup was plastic and semi transparent, i could how much paint was left before moving onto something else to paint.

Bear in mind that the gravity cup is aluminium (at least mine is). and thus not suitable for waterbased finishes. The polymers in the paint attack the aluminium and you will get grey streaks in the paint and it will not finish well. My Fuji suction cup is the same, but I have seen (pictures of) more recent ones that appear to be lined which may be ok.

Personally, I think it is worth splashing out on the 3M pps system - ideal for cabinetry work.

There are various threads on here giving plenty of info on all this if you search for 3M pps.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back