Fuel Price Rise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thejhw":1u1wjzeh said:
When will the arrogant, contemptuous bar stewards start thinking about us and not simply how to get us to pay for their mistakes? :evil:

Jim

NEVER!! This is a completely alien concept to them.

As far as they are concerned it's a very simple process: -

(1) they tax us
(2) they squander those taxes, so
(3) they tax us some more.

Better get used to it,

as so may know i dont use a car lorry etc i use my bike but still effects me, conserdering the brent has droped to somewher between 40 -45 $ fuel price might5 of started to come down, but hey why would our good goverment want that to heppen lol

And after all those promises that fuel and heating costs would start to fall in the New Year... :x

This doesn't account for why some garages will charge around 6p per litre more than their cheapest rivals! :shock:

I often wonder for how much people will stand for this sort of thing... You know, the internet is great way to communicate; you could easily get hundreds-of-thousands and then millions of people together.... I'm not trying to provoke a revolution here :shock: but, there's only so much one government could take....

Olly, I wish that were so, but; don't you remember the lines of commercial vehicles that brought London to a standstill a couple of years ago? The gov't still just went it's merry way and continued to jack up the duty.

I have to say, I feel a bit ambivalent about fuel prices, I think that the duty raised should reflect one's mileage. I think that the tax disc arrangement is iniquitous and should be abolished, but I feel that goods vehicles should be given a break on fuel prices.
I'm not saying that I know how to do it, but I think that at the moment the whole system is wrong.

Jim

thejhw":1qj9maw0 said:
Olly, I wish that were so, but; don't you remember the lines of commercial vehicles that brought London to a standstill a couple of years ago? The gov't still just went it's merry way and continued to jack up the duty.

where the fuel price protestors went wrong was that their actions hurt the common man in the street more tha it did the government which cost them in popular support

for example if they did it again after this price rise it would royally screw with my honeymoon, not to mention my general ability to get to work.

Now the getting to work isnt that bad for me as i have a salaried position and would probably get paid anyway - but what about all the thousands (millions) of people who if they cant work dont get paid.

pretty soon they are going to start thinking that hauliers arent that badly paid in comparison to themselves and saying that the government should use the army/police to break the blockade.

more intelligent and concerted action is required - rather than blockading the refineries or screwing with the road system , what is needed is a concerted boycott of the most expensive garages/chains.

If say on a certain day no one bought fuel from (for example) Murco but bought it from tesco etc instead that would bring home the message that they are charging too much.

Its easy to criticise the government but when you think of all the money they have recently had to put into the banking system its not suprising that taxes are going up - and yeah okay the banking collapse may have been partly their fault but if they had taken a hands off approach (to save money) they wouldnt have guaranteed anyones savings and the man in the street (the same people who are now moaning about the tax rise) would have gone ape.

the money for the bailout - or more accurately to repay the money borrowed from the bail out has to come from somewhere , and the only alternative to raising taxes is cutting jobs - which would also be vastly unpopular.

its is also easy to moan about MPs pay and bankers bonusses etc and yes these should get cut - but the saving there would be a drop in the ocean compared with what a tax raise would bring in.

Yes it is easy to criticise this government, and with good reason. They are utterly useless!

They have no clue how to manage this crisis. There one and only solution to every problem is "Throw money at it!" Actually that should read"Throw taxpayers money at it!"

I can just imagine the scene in Whitehall -

Minister - "Chancellor, we need a few billion to fund another 10,000 five-a-day outreach anti-smoking co-ordinators."

Chancellor - "No problem, we'll stick 2 pence on a litre of petrol. Nobody will notice, and even if they do, what can they do, use public transport?" (Belly laughs all round)

big soft moose":3ltlxmks said:
more intelligent and concerted action is required - rather than blockading the refineries or screwing with the road system , what is needed is a concerted boycott of the most expensive garages/chains.

If say on a certain day no one bought fuel from (for example) Murco but bought it from tesco etc instead that would bring home the message that they are charging too much.

I like you're way of thinking, Pete. :wink: I know you're only using Tesco as an example but, I read somewhere that the stuff on sale at the supermarkets isn't the same as what you can get from Texaco, Shell and the others - a bit like buying alcohol in a pub and finding it's been watered-down...? :? Apparently, if you use Tesco regularly, you should visit one of the proper forecourts every fifth fill. Does that make sense? :)

There's a road in Bristol I can think of with three Texaco garages, no more than two miles between each. Yet, each one is asking a different price! There's another one on the same road (literally metres away from a Texacoo; I think it's a Total?) where they charged 5p higher than the average for unleaded!! You can't blame the government for this one, although it is sad to see some cars queuing up when they could really save some pennies driving just a little further... :roll:

Latest posts

Back