[Frustration need help] Turning a cylinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive aligned the headstock and tail, checked, double checked and triple checked my centering. However all my cylinders end up the same way. half (always at headstock end) will be a cylinder after roughing, the Tail stock end will always be of wobbly and never a true cylinder.

Im so frustrated that its not worth even trying to make anything at the moment. im currently making a new bench of sturdier construction, im hoping this will sove the problem but im not convinced. Piece of work is only about 12" this shouldnt be too long to cause this problem. Anyone have any experiance of this type od problem. Possibly my bench isnt level, i shall be checking it in the next few days, could this be causing my issues?

Any help is needed as im at the end of my tether on this particualr problem.

What kind of lathe are you using Alie, is it one with a single round tubular bed bar ?

Cheers, Paul. :D

Are you using a revolving centre, check for bearing wear and correct fit in the taper if you are. You have movement not an alignment problem. Alignment would give a cone shape. You may however have an alignment problem and movement at the tailstock.

Hi Alie.

I presume you are using a revolving tail center, some of the cheaper ones have been know to wobble due to poor machining during manufacture.

If you want a true cylinder one way is to use a parting tool and go in to the diameter needed a few times along the timber measuring with calipers. Then join the grooves up using a sharp roughing gouge.

Also use the tool rest by setting it in relation to the bed/bed bars by eye balling down over the rest and aligning the edge of the rest with the bed. Then when roughing down you use your fingers as a stop against the rest while holding the tool to gauge a parallel cylinder.

Hope you can understand that lot, it is actually a lot easier to do that it is to explain.

good luck.

You beat me to it Russell :lol: I'm a slow typist.

Have you got a revolving centre in the tailstock,and a prong centre in the head.
Better still how are you holding the piece.
Sometimes the tailstock will need tightening up to the piece at times while turning.Make sure you keep it tight.
Paul.J.
p.s you both beat me :roll:

Back