Front door construction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to know it's useful info.

Mick, I made a little one to go under my stairs
031%20stairs%20cupboard.jpg

But Yes the front door is the first full size one I've made.

Cheers
Andy

Would it be considered good practice to split the raised panels on a front door. In effect producing two panels back to back, allowing for the outside panel to move more with the bigger changes in humidity and temperature?

John

That could be a bit extreme for a small advantage IMO. Insulation and vapour barrier between them would increase any benefits though.

from what I've seen, if a panel expands and contracts as long as this movement isn't ridgedly constrained it holds out. The only problem being the paint seal cracking at the interface with the moulding.

I'll be having an internal Vestibule door eventually so the humdity and temp differances won't be as extreme.

Andy

I think you have built a very agreeable door there agbagb.

I have to put you right on one thing though :) They are not Fox Wedges. They are just wedges. Fox wedges are used in a blind mortice and the action of clamping up spreads the tenon into the blind, angled mortice. If you try to pull it out, you'll be foxed. Yours are driven in from the outside.

Very nicely done, though.
S

Thanks Steve,

Wikipedia agrees with you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon

It calls what I've done "Traditional through wedged tenon", and if it's done on a blind tenon "Foxtail wedging". So I'll add a note.

However I would call a Traditional wedged tenon, one with wedges that go between the mortise and tenon. I'd also call a "Stub Tenon" a Blind tenon.

I was always under the impression what I've done was "foxtail or fox wedging" if not on a through tenon it would be a "blind fox".

Who actually descides what things are called? What makes a name right or wrong or is it just less acurate?

I've just finished making a front door for our house. I used redwood, I'll keep an eye on any movement problems but It'll be fully painted so I'm not expecting any problems on that score.

It's got through tenons with fox wedges. (twins on the bottom and middle rails). Raised panels and applied mouldings.
How-to-make-a-door1.jpg

All the details of how I made it are here including the design and some videos.

I know some of experts may put me straight on a few things but I think the basics are right.
What a comprehensive and inspiring load of info. Brilliant for a beginner like me.

Back